Due to frigid temperatures, road conditions and crews’ safety, Kansas City, Mo., residents should expect delays with trash and recycling this week. Some other City services are cancelled or delayed.
Crews will continue working on a Monday holiday schedule this week to get everything picked up, but trash and recycling collection may be delayed or slowed so that workers can take warming breaks.
This is the 12th straight day of having city crews removing snow for nearly 24 hours a day. Over 350 employees from Public Works, Solid Waste, Parks & Recreation and KC Water have been involved in snow operations, so please be patient as they work in extreme conditions.
To help with Evergy’s request to conserve power, the City has turned off exterior lights at City Hall and other city buildings for the rest of the week. The City has also requested that other downtown buildings keep the skyline dark at night, and they are also reducing energy use in City facilities.
City officials advise the public to avoid spending time outdoors today, and reminds residents that they can access most city services on the city’s website at kcmo.gov
Impacts to City Services include:
- Trash & recycling: Expect delays. Crews will still be working on the holiday schedule. Residents are encouraged to leave trash and recycling on the curb to be picked up. If your street was missed last week, the City will collect four bags next week.
- Municipal Court: Municipal Court operations are closed today and all hearings, including virtual hearings, are cancelled.
- Community Centers: The Gregg-Klice and Westport are the two community centers staffed and available as warming shelters. Space is limited. The Scott Eicke Warming Center at 13th & Central is available from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. for anyone who needs a warm, safe place to spend the night.
- All building inspections are rescheduled to Wednesday. Please use Compass KC to submit plans or apply for permits.
- Health Department: TESTING locations at Victorious Life and Marlborough Community Center have been canceled. For those with appointments at the two #Covidvaccine clinics today, come in anytime before 4:15 p.m. Updates to vaccinations and other health-related events today are on the Health Dept. Twitter feed.
- Council Committee Meetings: The Special Committee for Legal Review is cancelled today.
- Flight status at KCI Airport: Some flights are delayed or cancelled.
To track impacts to City operations, view City resources, or read about cold weather tips, visit: www.kcmo.gov/cold