Located at 22nd and Brooklyn, Municipal Stadium was the home to many professional sports teams long before the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex was completed in 1972.
Shown here on a Real Photo Postcard during the the stadium’s grand opening ceremonies, only the lower level of seats existed.
The park opened on July 3, 1923 as Muehlebach Field.
It was later renamed Ruppert Stadium, Blues Stadium, then ultimately Municipal Stadium after the Kansas City Athletics, once owned by Charles O. Finley, moved to Kansas City in 1955.
It was during that era that the upper deck was added, increasing the seating capacity to roughly 34,000. Sadly, Municipal Stadium went the way of many other vintage ball yards such as Ebbetts Field, Tiger Stadium and Commisky Park and was razed in the mid 1970s.
Until very recently it was the site of a community garden plot.
Even that has been bulldozed away and new homes now exist on the site where baseball teams the Blues, Monarchs, The A’s, the Chiefs (football) and the long forgotten Kansas City Spurs (soccer) once called home field.