Even though there are no baseball games being played right now, we’re continuing our tour of historic ball yards across the country.
Some are still standing, but the vast majority of old school ballparks have been demolished in the name of progress. Comiskey Park, home of the Chicago White Sox, is one of those storied stadiums that sadly fell to the wrecking ball.
Built in 1910 on the site of the former city dump on Chicago’s South side, the park was originally named White Sox Park but the name was soon changed to reflect that of Sox owner Charles Comiskey.
It served as the home of the White Sox from the time of its completion until the last out was recorded in a game against the Seattle Mariners on September 30, 1990.
During its tenure, Comiskey hosted four World Series and over 6,000 major league baseball games. The park was also used by the Chicago Cardinals of the National Football League prior to their departure to St. Louis in 1960 and the Chicago American Giants of the Negro National League from 1941 to 1950.
Following the park’s closure, the White Sox organization drew the ire of many of their long-time fans when they sold the seats in the park for $250 each to anyone wanting a piece of old-school baseball history.
When the Chicago Cubs removed the old wooden seats from Wrigley in the late 1980s, the seats were priced at $20, by comparison.
At the time of its demolition, Chicago’s ballparks, Old Comiskey and Wrigley Field, were a combined 157 years old.