Baltimore Hotel stunned around turn of the century

pc

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
January 25, 2017
Often called enigmatic and eccentric and known by his friends as a horrible driver, architect Louis Singleton Curtiss darted about the Kansas City area around the turn of the 20th Century, dressed in starched white shirts, smoking monogrammed Turkish cigarettes.
His architectural influences were varied, and his residential designs often bore design elements of Prairie School, Craftsman and Art Nouveau influences. Curtiss designed several houses in the Kansas City area, including many in the West Heights Manor area of Kansas City, Kan., and the Bernard Corrigan home at 55th Street and Ward Parkway. His lone residential design in Historic Northeast still stands at 414 S. Gladstone Blvd., a Prairie-style, buff-brick Four-Square designed for Porte Haven, an executive with the Fidelity Oil Company.
One of Curtiss’ most stunning commercial designs was the Baltimore Hotel, conceived after Curtiss returned from a trip to Europe in 1898. It was a project of the Corrigan Estate and was Curtiss’ final project before chartering his own design firm. Originally designed as a six-story building, the Baltimore’s lavish trappings quickly drew a wealthy clientele. Two stories were added during the first expansion in 1902, then in 1904, a second addition extended the structure 40 additional feet south, toward 12th Street.
In 1907 the hotel underwent a massive expansion, extending all the way to 12th Street and half a block east toward Main Street. An imposing entrance was constructed on the 12th Street side of the hotel, shown here on this postcard. The Pompeian Room was the hotel’s most popular and elegant dining spot, featuring a fountain made entirely of imported Carrara marble and massive marble columns capped with gold leafed capitals. Sadly, the hotel closed in 1938 during the waning years of the depression, and most of the fitments and furnishings were sold at auction prior to its razing in 1939.
A four-story parking garage was built on the site, then razed in the late 1960s to make way for the construction of City-Center Square.
Louis Singleton Curtiss died at his drafting table in 1924. According to staff at Mount Washington cemetery, Curtiss lies in an unmarked grave on a hillside in Lot 21 of the Garden of Faith.

Comments are closed.

  • Park lit up the night and imaginations

    October 11th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News   Electric Park View is the title of this postcard published in 1913 for Electric Park […]


    In the beginning, Northeast High School is newly constructed

    October 4th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News According to the Nor’easter, Volume 1, Number 1, under the leadership of Editor Nathan Scarritt, the […]


    Racetrack’s legacy endures

    September 27th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell The Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard […]


    Kansas City’s First Streetcars

    September 20th, 2017
    by

    by Michael Bushnell Northeast News Kansas City’s street railway began humbly in 1869 with the advent of small, animal-drawn  cars […]


    Benton Circle: The Early Days

    September 13th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News This week, we feature a card John Straley published between 1925-1930 titled “The Benton Circle,” […]


  • Community still served from stately edifice

    September 6th, 2017
    by

    In January of 1885 a lot at the corner of 9th and Harrison was purchased by T.M. James for the […]


    A tribute to the American worker

    August 30th, 2017
    by

    By Michael Bushnell Northeast News The postcards shown this week are real photo postcards from the estate of long-time Northeast […]


    Memories of the 1908 flood

    August 23rd, 2017
    by

    By M. Bushnell The Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the result of countless days of rain and the lack […]


    “One of the greatest playgrounds in America”

    August 16th, 2017
    by

    by Michael Bushnell Northeast News The description inside this vintage 1930s Curt Teich linen postcard folder of the Lake of […]


    The Mother Of All Rallies

    August 9th, 2017
    by

    By Michael Bushnell Northeast News In honor of the 77th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Black Hills of South […]


  • What’s Happening

    KCMO Parks Director elected president of national organization

    By Melissa Wharton Northeast News Kansas City, Missouri Parks and Recreation Director Mark McHenry was elected in September as president […]

    Northeast Newscast Episode 29 w/ KCPD’s new Community Initiative Officer Jason Cooley

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News This week on the Northeast Newscast, KCPD’s newly appointed Community Initiative Officer, Jason Cooley, sits […]

    
New design revealed for high-crash Paseo Gateway intersection

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News According to Parks and Recreation project manager James Wang, the intersection of Independence Avenue and […]

  • Local Weather