The Larry-Don Excursion boat

PC-larry-don.jpg

 

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
July 9, 2014

If you’re a fan of Lake Ozark and everything that is the Lake of the Ozarks, then you’ve no doubt seen the Larry-Don plying the waters of the lake, ferrying sight-seeing tours along the almost 1,400 miles of shoreline on a daily basis.

This week’s postcard, “The ‘Larry-Don’ Excursion Boat, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri” was published by the Corwin News Agency of Jefferson City, Mo. The description on the back of the card states: “The newest and largest excursion boat on the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, the ‘Larry-Don’ is an excellent ship with a capacity of 200 persons. Covering an area of 65,000 acres, the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks is 130 miles long with a shore line of 1,372 miles.”

Originally commissioned by Lawrence Fry and built in 1949, the Larry-Don is the longest serving passenger boat in the lake region. The Larry-Don was, according to local legend, built of parts from scrapped World War II LCTs and LSTs (Landing Craft, Infantry and Landing Ship, Tank). It was quartered in St. Louis and trucked the 150 miles to the lake. The boat is named for Mr. Fry’s son, Larry, and his nephew, Don. The pleasure craft underwent extensive modifications in the 1960s and now boasts a cover over the second deck, complete with sliding glass windows to keep inclement weather at bay. A “new” third “sun deck” was added to increase capacity at the same time.

The boat has been a popular place for couples to tie the knot; back in the day, if you were wed on the Larry-Don, you received a lucky horseshoe inscribed with the Larry-Don name and “Good Luck.” Recently the Captain Larry-Don and the company that operates the craft from Casino Pier have fallen on hard times. The Captain Larry-Don, according to sources at Tom Sawyer Paddlewheel Cruises (next door to Casino Pier), hasn’t cruised for most of the summer. Her sister ship, “The Commander,” is reportedly in dry dock, too, and being inspected by the Coast Guard for invasive zebra mussels.

Comments are closed.

  • Vanderslice made it big in the KC ice and coal business

    August 23rd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, in celebration of the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote, we showcase an advertising postcard published for


    Highest point in Kansas City housed corruption cleanser

    August 16th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This advertising postcard from The Westmoreland Company shows a residence at 74th and Mercier streets.


    Benton Circle: the early days

    August 9th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a card John Straley published between 1925-1930 titled “The Benton Circle,” shown in its original configuration at the intersection of St.


    Neighborhood school built on history

    August 2nd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Located on the corner of Prospect Boulevard and Amie Court, Garfield Elementary School was one of the first ward schools in Kansas City.


    Troost Lake connects to streetcar, Mormon histories

    July 26th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Opening to the public in 1888, Troost Park and adjoining Troost Lake were the ideas of the Kansas City Cable Railway Company (later known as the Kansas City


  • The wild waters of pre-levee Kansas City

    July 19th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Published by the North American Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo., this week’s card is a Real Photo Postcard showing the West Bottoms area looking northwest toward the


    Christmas in July

    July 12th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, a rare treat — a Real Photo postcard showing a newly completed Penn Valley Drive in Penn Valley Park, Kansas City, Mo.


    Bible College once served Historic Northeast

    July 6th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for “girls,” the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge Avenue) and Askew avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas


    Celebrating with Uncle Sam: Happy Fourth of July!

    June 28th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Historians aren’t completely certain how the legendary character Uncle Sam was created, or for whom (if anyone) he was named.


    Kansas City’s old Convention Hall

    June 21st, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a rare advertising postcard showing the old Convention Hall, which was destroyed by fire in early April 1900 — just 90 days prior to


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Area man injured in shooting behind Northeast News

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News August 25, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – Just before midnight on Wednesday, August 24, KCPD […]

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder [...]

    Northeast railroad bridge continues to stifle motorists

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The sight is all too common; a capsized semi-truck blocking traffic along Independence Avenue. Northeast residents know the spot.