Industry dominate Blue Valley District

PC-sheffield.jpg

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
October 9, 2013

The Sheffield Car & Equipment Co. began to show up in Kansas City, Mo., city directories around 1911. Listed at an address of the Blue River at the Santa Fe Railway tracks, the company appears to have occupied space later occupied by the Sheffield Steel Mill in the Blue River Industrial Area.

For roughly 16 years, the company listed Walter S. Carr of Oak Park, Ill., as president and treasurer; Joseph D. Purcell of Chicago, Ill., as vice president, and locally, a Christopher Wise as secretary.

In 1919 city directories, Wise is shown as living at 620 W. 59 St. in the still-fashionable Sunset Hill area. In 1921, however, Wise was residing at the Inez Hotel near Ninth and Troost. Two years later his address is listed in Fairland Heights, Mo., or more exactly, the Fairland Heights Subdivision near the intersection of Winner Road, Arlington and 16th Street. He lived here with his wife Irene.

There’s no listing in any city directories for The Sheffield Car & Equipment Co after 1927, leading me to believe that the company was either absorbed by the fledgling Kansas City Terminal Railway or that the property was bought by the Sheffield Steel Corporation. Close examination of the grounds where the buildings would have stood reveal only gravel roads and a railroad sign reading “Blue River Junction.”

The card was mailed to Mr. Earl Swank, RFD Trenton, Mo. from the Sheffield Station, Dec. 6, 1910. (The postmark is difficult to read; the date could be 1912.) The message reads: “Hello Earl, Will send you a picture of where I hang out.”

The advertising message on the back states: “Sheffield Car & Equipment Co. BUILDERS Freight Cars, Steel Underframes, Heavy Repairs. REBUILT EQUIPMENT FOR SALE.” It is not known whether they actually built any rail cars.

Comments are closed.

  • A royal treat since 1899

    8 hours ago
    by

    Northeast News The roots of today’s American Royal can be traced to 1899 when the fledgling event was referred to as the National Hereford Show.


    Swope mystery lives on while park thrives

    September 20th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This card, titled “Entrance to Swope Park, Kansas City,” may have been sent by a prominent Kansas City architect of its day.


    Taming the streets of Kansas City

    September 13th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Print advertisements placed by the Oldsmobile Company in 1939 tout the new Olds “60” as the “car that tamed the Belgian Block,” referring to how well the car’s


    Innovative trucks drove Kansas City’s economy

    September 7th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Following Labor Day, we publish this rare Real Photo postcard and dedicate it to those who drive the wheels of our economy.


    Kelly Flour Mills workers would have celebrated Labor Day

    August 30th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News The Labor Day holiday is coming Monday, so here, with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of


  • Vanderslice made it big in the KC ice and coal business

    August 23rd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, in celebration of the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote, we showcase an advertising postcard published for


    Highest point in Kansas City housed corruption cleanser

    August 16th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This advertising postcard from The Westmoreland Company shows a residence at 74th and Mercier streets.


    Benton Circle: the early days

    August 9th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a card John Straley published between 1925-1930 titled “The Benton Circle,” shown in its original configuration at the intersection of St.


    Neighborhood school built on history

    August 2nd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Located on the corner of Prospect Boulevard and Amie Court, Garfield Elementary School was one of the first ward schools in Kansas City.


    Troost Lake connects to streetcar, Mormon histories

    July 26th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Opening to the public in 1888, Troost Park and adjoining Troost Lake were the ideas of the Kansas City Cable Railway Company (later known as the Kansas City


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder [...]

    KCPD to test body-worn cameras

    Northeast News September 26, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – The Kansas City Police Department took another step into the digital […]

    East Patrol satisfied with SURGE operation in Northeast

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News September 25, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – Focused law enforcement efforts in the Northeast last […]