Hostess not alone in closings

PC -warneke bakery.tif

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
November 12, 2012 


When John Warneke arrived in Jackson County, Mo., in 1866, Kansas City’s population barely topped 15,000 souls, all intent on making a life in the newly-settled boom town on the edge of the frontier.

Warneke had learned the baking trade in Germany, where he was born 33 years earlier. He immigrated to the United States as a young man, settling first in New York, then moving to Independence and ultimately Kansas City. He immediately set up a baking business in a one-room shop near what was then known as the Levy, a row of buildings precariously built along the Missouri River’s edge, not far from the confluence of the Kansas River. (We now refer to this as “The Town of Kansas,” near present-day City Market.) Warneke quickly outgrew the cramped confines and moved his shop to 1509 Grand Ave.

Following his death in 1886, Warneke’s sons took over operation of the prosperous baking business. In 1917, they moved the bakery to a newly constructed plant at the southwest corner of 14th and Chestnut. It is shown on this postcard published by the Elite Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo. Through consolidations, Warnekes’ bakery became Consumers Baking, and subsequently, the General Baking Company. General consolidated all production to its Smith Steam bakery at 600 E. 18th St. in 1937, and the Chestnut property was left dormant until the Wilcox Electric Company bought it in 1942. General Baking closed the 18th street facility in 1958. The baking ovens were removed, and the plant was retrofitted to manufacture communications equipment for the emerging airlines. The building still stands today and is fully utilized by Certified Safety Manufacturing, which produces first-aid and safety products distributed worldwide. 

 

 

Comments are closed.

  • Winnwood has faded, but its legacy lives

    June 23rd, 2015
    by

    Northeast News A mere three stops after boarding the Interurban car of the KCCC&SJ’s Excelsior Springs line at 20th Street and Burlington Avenue in the then newly chartered North Kansas


    Flooding no is stranger to Kansas City’s West Bottoms

    June 16th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the result of countless days of rain and the lack of a levee system in the West Bottoms during a flood in June 1908.
    The


    Katz’s stores remain an architectural icon

    June 9th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When Isaac “Ike” Katz was 13-years-old, he quit school and went to work for the Great Northern Railway to help support his family.
    Katz walked the aisles of passenger


    Memories of the 1908 flood

    June 2nd, 2015
    by

    Northeast News As we approach the rainy summer season, it is fitting that we run a postcard showing three scenes from the West Bottoms area immediately following the great flood


    Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


  • Motel Capri – Northeast’s Gold Standard for Motor Inns

    May 12th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In the late 1950’s, an empty plat of ground just north of the old Boy’s Hotel at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue caught the eye of three local


    Cursed be the villain who molests these graves

    May 5th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In January of 1859, the town of Wyandot was incorporated and two streets were cut across what we now know as the Huron Indian Cemetery.


    Cliff Drive’s legacy endures time as a world-class park

    April 28th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Cliff Drive, Kansas City, Missouri.”
    So reads the description on the front of this postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company.


    As KC grew, so grew the City Market

    April 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Building the imposing new City Hall at Fifth and Main Streets required the installation of roughly 60 circular caissons, five feet across, to support the massive structure.


    Fairyland lives on in photo postcard

    April 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the view of Fairyland Park from the top of the roller coaster in the 1930s.


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    East Patrol officer named 2015 Officer of the Year


    Northeast News June 29, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — The Missouri Peace Officers Association has named a Kansas City, Mo., […]

    KC Museum sign removal event to be rescheduled

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News June 26, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — The Kansas City Museum’s sign removal ceremony has been postponed. […]

    Motorcycle Ride will impact traffic Friday morning

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News June 25, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — On the morning of Friday, June 26, roughly 1,500 […]