Kansas City is reviewing its charter, and opportunities for public engagement are approaching.
The City operates under a City Charter. Within the City Charter, Section 1212 states: “The Mayor shall appoint a Commission no less than once every ten years for the purpose of reviewing the terms and operation of the City Charter.”
On April 11, Mayor Quinton Lucas announced his appointees:
- Eric Rose, First District, Secretary-Treasurer, International Association of Fire Fighters Local 42
- Jenny Johnston, Second District, President, Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Karen Slaughter, Third District, Restorative Justice Facilitator, Center for Conflict Resolution
- Wilson Vance, Fourth District, Organizing Director, KC Tenants
- Linda Brown, Fifth District, President, Blue Hills Neighborhood Association
- Michael McGee, Sixth District, Attorney
- Margaret Jones, At-Large, Community Volunteer
- Adam Miller, At-Large, Head of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, American Century Investment and Founder; Bespoke Consulting
- Jack Steadman, At-Large, Director, Director & Team Lead, Relationship Management, C2FO
The Commission held an initial orientation meeting April 11, and announced additional meetings, including public listening sessions to review and consider recommended changes to the Charter. Any recommended changes would go to a public vote before being fully approved and implemented.
The Northland hosts the first Public Listening Session on Monday, May 1, at 6 p.m. at Northland Neighborhoods Inc., 5340 NE Chouteau Trafficway.
The other upcoming meetings are:
- Tuesday, May 2 – Commission Meeting, 5 p.m. in City Hall 10th Floor Committee Room
- Monday, May 8 – Public Listening Session, 6 p.m. – Southeast Community Center, 4201 E. 63rd Street
- Tuesday, May 9 – Commission Meeting, 5 p.m. in City Hall 10th Floor Committee Room
- Monday, May 15 Commission Meeting, 5 p.m. in City Hall 10th Floor Committee Room
The Commission currently is seeking input on the following draft redline changes related to the administration and operations of the City’s Municipal elections and related functions:
- 2023.04.27 DRAFT Election Calendar (Odd Years); Associated Term Extension
- 2023.04.27 DRAFT Single Filing Location
- 2023.04.27 DRAFT Random Alphabet Ballot Order
- 2023.04.27 DRAFT General Election to Function as Runoff
To submit a public comment online, go to this page and scroll to the bottom.