Playgound image long gone from banks of the Blue River

posrtcard-blue river.TIF

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
September 26, 2012 


What is now nothing more than a re-routed, re-manufactured drainage ditch north of 63rd Street was once home to thousands of boat owners in the Kansas City and Independence area who made their summer home along the banks of the beautiful Blue River.

This historic postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company shows the Blue River looking North from 15th Street (Truman Road). Canoe and boat rental outfitters lined the banks of the Blue with names like the Star Boat Company and the Blue River Boat House, shown at left in the view on this postcard. Farther north, near where 12th Street crosses, was the Kansas City Yacht Club. In this view, the Blue River seems to be full, but other views of the same time period show the river as barely a trickle where one could wade across its breadth and not get completely wet in the process.

With the pending encroachment of industry along its banks, recreation-based businesses closed their doors one by one, and the river became a dumping ground for everything from industrial waste to rusting automobiles to household items. Today, the river, north of 12th Street to the northern border of the old Sheffield Steel Mill, flows in a narrow concrete channel largely for flood control purposes. Virtually no evidence exists of what was once known as Kansas City’s water playground.

Comments are closed.

  • Circus grounds and beer

    11 hours ago
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News The new $750,000 M.K. Goetz Brewery wasn’t built in Kansas City until 1936, but its long, […]


    The Legend Of Old “Wide-Awake”

    January 17th, 2018
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News Vaughn’s Diamond was a prominent building constructed in the late 1860’s by early Kansas City real […]


    Trainmen present for cornerstone dedication

    January 10th, 2018
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News The laying of the Cornerstone of Mercy Hospital at 1710 Independence Boulevard in October of 1916 […]


    Montgomery Ward building displayed design achievement

    January 3rd, 2018
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News Upon its completion in 1914, the Montgomery Ward Distribution Center in Historic Northeast Kansas City was […]


    Out with the old…

    December 27th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News “Kissing the Rod” “O heart of mine we shouldn’t worry so, What we’ve missed of calm […]


  • Holiday wishes from the king of rock

    December 20th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News This week we take a break from historic cards and offer up a jewel for the […]


    Legion fountain and Van Brunt icon

    December 13th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News Originally designed as an ornate drinking fountain by noted Kansas City Sculptor Robert Merril Gage, the […]


    Iconic igloo inspires museum memories

    December 6th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News If you’ve forgotten what the third floor of the Kansas City Museum looked like when your […]


    The House That Beef Built

    November 29th, 2017
    by

      Michael Bushnell Northeast News When Kirkland B. Armour began construction of his palatial mansion on the boulevard that bears […]


    Much to be thankful for — in 1621 and today

    November 22nd, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News The holiday we celebrate as Thanksgiving had very humble beginnings in a tiny settlement bordering the […]


  • What’s Happening

    City Hall Round-up: Week of 1/15-1/19

    Paul Thompson Northeast News If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. The Kansas City, Missouri City Council’s second […]

    Paseo Gateway Project continues as Chouteau Courts vacated

    Paul Thompson Northeast News The final tenants at the Chouteau Courts housing project officially moved out of the development on […]

    retorts illustrated by bryan stalder

  • Local Weather