Artistos Flour – Guaranteed!

PC-Southwest Milling.jpg

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
July 2, 2014

This week, we spotlight a promotional postcard for the Southwest Milling Company showing the company’s A and B Flour Mills. The “A” mill was built in 1913 near present day 18th Street and Kansas Avenue on the banks of the Kansas River. Advertised as fireproof and of the most modern construction, the plant was Southwestern Milling’s flagship plant along the Kaw River for many years.

At its peak, its output was roughly 4,000 barrels of flour a day. The company’s “B” mill, according to City Directories in the Missouri Valley Room of the Kansas City Library, was located near 25th Street and State Line Road. According to the information on this postcard, it boasted an output of 3,500 barrels.

The banks of the Kansas River near its confluence with the Missouri had already begun to turn from pristine woodland to heavy industry at the turn of the 20th century. By 1911, more than 17 flour mills were located along its banks in Armourdale, Argentine and Kansas City, Kan., all of which were separate incorporated entities at the time. Those mills collectively could process and store more than 6.5 million bushels of wheat per day.

Southwestern Milling advertised that no hand touched their wheat during the milling process in order to maintain the most sanitary conditions for food production. By 1928, the “A” mill had almost doubled in size. Also during 1928, Southwestern Milling was acquired by Standard Milling, making it the largest processor of Turkey Red Winter wheat – hardy strain of winter wheat brought to central Kansas by Russian Mennonites in the 1880s – in the world.

Due to their location on the banks of the Kansas River, most every flour mill in Argentine and Armourdale sustained serious damage during the flood of 1951. While some mills and meat processing plants reopened after the swirling, muddy waters receded, Standard’s “A” mill however, ceased operation citing the extreme expense of rebuilding. All of its machinery was dismantled and either sold or sent to other mill locations in the Midwest.

This postcard, published in roughly 1917, boasts that “Aristos Flour is guaranteed! If dissatisfied, bring back the empty sack and get your money!”

The “A” mill stood vacant for more than 30 years, and most of the grain elevators shown in this postcard were razed in order to make way for the new “18th Street Expressway.” The plant reopened about 10 years ago and currently operates under the Corbion Caravan Ingredients brand, a manufacturer of baking additives sold primarily to wholesale bakers across the country. The company boasts nine locations across the United States with over 700 employees.

Comments are closed.

  • Delaware one of the city’s oldest streets

    9 hours ago
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News Most of the buildings shown in this Southwest News Company postcard published in 1907 were demolished […]


    Park lit up the night and imaginations

    October 11th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News   Electric Park View is the title of this postcard published in 1913 for Electric Park […]


    In the beginning, Northeast High School is newly constructed

    October 4th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News According to the Nor’easter, Volume 1, Number 1, under the leadership of Editor Nathan Scarritt, the […]


    Racetrack’s legacy endures

    September 27th, 2017
    by

    Michael Bushnell The Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard […]


    Kansas City’s First Streetcars

    September 20th, 2017
    by

    by Michael Bushnell Northeast News Kansas City’s street railway began humbly in 1869 with the advent of small, animal-drawn  cars […]


  • Benton Circle: The Early Days

    September 13th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News This week, we feature a card John Straley published between 1925-1930 titled “The Benton Circle,” […]


    Community still served from stately edifice

    September 6th, 2017
    by

    In January of 1885 a lot at the corner of 9th and Harrison was purchased by T.M. James for the […]


    A tribute to the American worker

    August 30th, 2017
    by

    By Michael Bushnell Northeast News The postcards shown this week are real photo postcards from the estate of long-time Northeast […]


    Memories of the 1908 flood

    August 23rd, 2017
    by

    By M. Bushnell The Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the result of countless days of rain and the lack […]


    “One of the greatest playgrounds in America”

    August 16th, 2017
    by

    by Michael Bushnell Northeast News The description inside this vintage 1930s Curt Teich linen postcard folder of the Lake of […]


  • What’s Happening

  • Local Weather