Baltimore Hotel stunned around turn of the century

pc

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
January 25, 2017
Often called enigmatic and eccentric and known by his friends as a horrible driver, architect Louis Singleton Curtiss darted about the Kansas City area around the turn of the 20th Century, dressed in starched white shirts, smoking monogrammed Turkish cigarettes.
His architectural influences were varied, and his residential designs often bore design elements of Prairie School, Craftsman and Art Nouveau influences. Curtiss designed several houses in the Kansas City area, including many in the West Heights Manor area of Kansas City, Kan., and the Bernard Corrigan home at 55th Street and Ward Parkway. His lone residential design in Historic Northeast still stands at 414 S. Gladstone Blvd., a Prairie-style, buff-brick Four-Square designed for Porte Haven, an executive with the Fidelity Oil Company.
One of Curtiss’ most stunning commercial designs was the Baltimore Hotel, conceived after Curtiss returned from a trip to Europe in 1898. It was a project of the Corrigan Estate and was Curtiss’ final project before chartering his own design firm. Originally designed as a six-story building, the Baltimore’s lavish trappings quickly drew a wealthy clientele. Two stories were added during the first expansion in 1902, then in 1904, a second addition extended the structure 40 additional feet south, toward 12th Street.
In 1907 the hotel underwent a massive expansion, extending all the way to 12th Street and half a block east toward Main Street. An imposing entrance was constructed on the 12th Street side of the hotel, shown here on this postcard. The Pompeian Room was the hotel’s most popular and elegant dining spot, featuring a fountain made entirely of imported Carrara marble and massive marble columns capped with gold leafed capitals. Sadly, the hotel closed in 1938 during the waning years of the depression, and most of the fitments and furnishings were sold at auction prior to its razing in 1939.
A four-story parking garage was built on the site, then razed in the late 1960s to make way for the construction of City-Center Square.
Louis Singleton Curtiss died at his drafting table in 1924. According to staff at Mount Washington cemetery, Curtiss lies in an unmarked grave on a hillside in Lot 21 of the Garden of Faith.

Comments are closed.

  • Aviation history took flight at Fairfax

    April 26th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News April 26, 2017 This 1942 Max Bernstein linen postcard depicts the Aircraft Assembly Plant, Fairfax […]


    The Pony Express led the way from St. Joseph

    April 19th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News April 19, 2017 “Beginning April 3, 1860, from St. Joseph, Mo., and continuing through Oct. […]


    Coaches offered first-class tours of Kansas City

    April 12th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News April 12, 2017 These Real Photo postcards show Coach No. 503 of the Kansas City […]


    The glory days of the Blue River

    April 5th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News April 5, 2017 The North American Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo., published this Real […]


    Turn-of the century firefighters were hot at competition

    March 29th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News March 29, 2017 In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the Kansas City Fire Department […]


  • Roses are red … and pink … and white …

    March 22nd, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News March 22, 2017 Between Oct. 21 and 24 of 1864, the area we now know […]


    Sweet sound of St. Pat’s

    March 15th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News March 15, 2017 Greeting postcards such as this have long been used to convey greetings […]


    Famed theater designers made mark on Kansas City

    March 8th, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News March 8, 2017 Old Theater architectural enthusiasts throughout Kansas City today can spot a Boller […]


    Alderman Jim’s machine moved Missouri

    March 1st, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News March 1, 2017 This postcard depicts the statue of “Alderman Jim” Pendergast in its original […]


    Kansas City’s first memorial

    February 22nd, 2017
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News February 22, 2017 Dedicated on June 2, 1909, the August R. Meyer Memorial, at 10th […]


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Historic Preservation Commission recommends against KCU plan

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News April 28, 2017 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – During it’s Friday, April 28 meeting, the KCMO […]

    NE KC Violence Reduction Initiative seeking public input

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News April 27, 2017 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – The NE KC Violence Reduction Initiative would like […]

    KCMO audit of Independence Avenue CID yields 10 recommendations

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News April 26, 2017 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – The KCMO City Auditor’s office has made 10 […]