TWA Star Stream: the luxury standard

TWA.Boeing 707.tif

By Michael Bushnell
Northeast News

Trans World Airlines launched its first jet service on Jan. 25, 1959, between New York-Idlewild and San Fransisco.

The route was chosen by TWA’s then President Howard Hughes to compete with American Airlines new jet service between New York-Idlewild and Los Angeles. Hughes pushed TWA’s finances to the limit to enter the jet age by ordering eight new Boeing 707-120’s in February 1956. TWA dubbed the new jet service “Star Stream” and even gave it its own set of standards in luxury jet travel. The 707 was widely known in aircraft circles as one of the most versatile jets used in commercial passenger service. Pilots who flew the four engine, 189-seat-liner knew she could take a beating and still be airworthy. Test pilot Tex Johnston proved this in 1955 when, at an exhibition of a prototype Boeing 707, promptly took to the air and barrel rolled the jet liner not once, but twice in front of an audience of Boeing executives and representatives of the International Air Transport Association and the Aircraft Industries Association.

Boeing’s then President Bill Allen called Johnston in to his office the following Monday and laid down the law. No more rolls. Over its over 20 year production history, Boeing produced over 1,800 707’s including over 800 military versions used for everything from hauling freight and equipment to being used as a tanker plane used for in-air re-fueling. Boeing followed the 707 with the widely used 727, a smaller, three jet configuration that positioned the engines at the rear of the plane, supposedly for greater stability and smoother flight. The 707 was also the Air Force 1 for Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Ford. During the Carter administration, Air Force 1 transitioned to the Boeing 747. This postcard is one of TWA’s promotional postcards produced to promote the 707 for commercial air travel.

Comments are closed.

  • Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

    Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

  • Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

    Gayety Theater once took center stage

    July 28th, 2015

    Northeast News Built of reinforced concrete and ornamental brick at a cost of $115,000, the Gayety Theater stood on the former site of the A.W. Armour home, one of the

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Trail work continues along Cliff Drive Scenic Byway

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News Oct. 1, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — How did VML celebrate VML Worldwide Foundation Day? With […]

    HUD awards Kansas City with $30 million grant

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — Say goodbye to Chouteau Courts. On Monday, Sept. 28, during a stop in Kansas City, Julián Castro, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder [...]