Artistos Flour – Guaranteed!

PC-Southwest Milling.jpg

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
July 2, 2014

This week, we spotlight a promotional postcard for the Southwest Milling Company showing the company’s A and B Flour Mills. The “A” mill was built in 1913 near present day 18th Street and Kansas Avenue on the banks of the Kansas River. Advertised as fireproof and of the most modern construction, the plant was Southwestern Milling’s flagship plant along the Kaw River for many years.

At its peak, its output was roughly 4,000 barrels of flour a day. The company’s “B” mill, according to City Directories in the Missouri Valley Room of the Kansas City Library, was located near 25th Street and State Line Road. According to the information on this postcard, it boasted an output of 3,500 barrels.

The banks of the Kansas River near its confluence with the Missouri had already begun to turn from pristine woodland to heavy industry at the turn of the 20th century. By 1911, more than 17 flour mills were located along its banks in Armourdale, Argentine and Kansas City, Kan., all of which were separate incorporated entities at the time. Those mills collectively could process and store more than 6.5 million bushels of wheat per day.

Southwestern Milling advertised that no hand touched their wheat during the milling process in order to maintain the most sanitary conditions for food production. By 1928, the “A” mill had almost doubled in size. Also during 1928, Southwestern Milling was acquired by Standard Milling, making it the largest processor of Turkey Red Winter wheat – hardy strain of winter wheat brought to central Kansas by Russian Mennonites in the 1880s – in the world.

Due to their location on the banks of the Kansas River, most every flour mill in Argentine and Armourdale sustained serious damage during the flood of 1951. While some mills and meat processing plants reopened after the swirling, muddy waters receded, Standard’s “A” mill however, ceased operation citing the extreme expense of rebuilding. All of its machinery was dismantled and either sold or sent to other mill locations in the Midwest.

This postcard, published in roughly 1917, boasts that “Aristos Flour is guaranteed! If dissatisfied, bring back the empty sack and get your money!”

The “A” mill stood vacant for more than 30 years, and most of the grain elevators shown in this postcard were razed in order to make way for the new “18th Street Expressway.” The plant reopened about 10 years ago and currently operates under the Corbion Caravan Ingredients brand, a manufacturer of baking additives sold primarily to wholesale bakers across the country. The company boasts nine locations across the United States with over 700 employees.

Comments are closed.

  • The wild waters of pre-levee Kansas City

    July 19th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Published by the North American Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo., this week’s card is a Real Photo Postcard showing the West Bottoms area looking northwest toward the


    Christmas in July

    July 12th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, a rare treat — a Real Photo postcard showing a newly completed Penn Valley Drive in Penn Valley Park, Kansas City, Mo.


    Bible College once served Historic Northeast

    July 6th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for “girls,” the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge Avenue) and Askew avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas


    Celebrating with Uncle Sam: Happy Fourth of July!

    June 28th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Historians aren’t completely certain how the legendary character Uncle Sam was created, or for whom (if anyone) he was named.


    Kansas City’s old Convention Hall

    June 21st, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a rare advertising postcard showing the old Convention Hall, which was destroyed by fire in early April 1900 — just 90 days prior to


  • Century-old view of KC from river

    June 14th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Kansas City’s riverfront on the Missouri River is pictured in this old, turn-of-the-century postcard published by The Southwest News Company of Kansas City.


    Viaduct connected Kansas cities

    June 7th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This postcard, titled “United States Troops Crossing Intercity Viaduct, Kansas City, Mo.,” shows what seems to be an unending column of Army troops crossing the then-newly constructed bridge


    ‘The great white city’

    June 1st, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Electric Park was named for the 100,000 electric light bulbs outlining its buildings and rides.


    Thoroughly modern courthouse

    May 25th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This linen postcard, showing north and west sides of what at the time was the new Jackson County Courthouse and the intersection of 12th and Oak streets, was


    Summer brings rain, sometimes flooding

    May 17th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News As we approach the summer rain season, it is fitting that we run a postcard showing a scene in the West Bottoms during the great flood of 1908:


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Community volunteers, CORO KC combine to clean up Northeast

    Northeast News July 23, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – A group of community volunteers teamed up with interns from Park […]

    CORO KC interns set community service project for July 23

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A dozen interns sponsored by Park University will wrap up an eight-week public affairs program on Saturday, July 23, by holding a group community

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder [...]