Old city prison still stands on Vine St.

pc.tif

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
June 4, 2014

Overcrowding, frequent escapes, unclean bedding, vermin, lack of medical attention, poor food, habitual gambling, prisoners kept in cells in idleness and intoxicating liquors and drugs available during confinement.

The list of grievances was delivered to Mayor Thomas Crittenden in 1909 by the Board of Pardons and Paroles describing the deplorable conditions at the City Work House, located at 2001 Vine St.

After public dissemination of those charges, the superintendent and most of the staff at the Work House were fired or resigned under duress. The castellated stone structure was designed by local architect Wallace Love and completed in 1896. The undressed stone was quarried locally, and most of the construction labor was done by prisoners.

The long wing that extended east from the main tower housed a row of one-story prison cells holding those who violated city ordinances. An armed guard was situated on a platform along the north side of the structure.

Cells in the basement, referred to as “the dungeon,” were reserved for the most egregious scofflaws. In 1910, 115 acres was purchased just south of the Rock Island Railroad in the Leeds District for a new facility that was completed the following year.

Following its completion, only female prisoners remained, until the 1920s when the facility was taken over by the water department. The facility has been vacant for almost 30 years despite numerous potential buyers and plans for the unique and historic structure.

Comments are closed.

  • Mt. Washington still a peaceful respite

    November 12th, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News November 12, 2014 This postcard published by the Webb-Freyschlag Mercantile Company shows a peaceful view […]


    Eagle’s lodge once a place of history

    November 5th, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News November 5, 2014 This week we take a look at the Queen Anne-styled James Ogelbay […]


    Haunting Halloween Greetings

    October 28th, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News October 29, 2014 Marked by old greeting postcards like these, the tradition of Halloween traces […]


    KC’s first fire fighters honored

    October 21st, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News October 22, 2014 In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City, […]


    Majestic hours once lived on Armour Blvd

    October 14th, 2014
    by

    This postcard published by the Elite Postcard Company of Kansas City doubles as an advertising postcard for the Jenkins Music […]


  • Parade's a downtown tradition

    October 7th, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News October 8, 2014 This week’s historic postcard is a Real Photo postcard that shows a […]


    It’s American Royal time again!

    September 30th, 2014
    by

    By Michael Bushnell Northeast News October 1, 2014 About two years after the opening of the “new” Hannibal Bridge over […]


    Oldsmobile Rhythmic ride!

    September 23rd, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News September 24, 2014 This marketing postcard was produced by the Oldsmobile Motor Company for Kansas […]


    Brush Creek synonymous with Plaza living

    September 16th, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News September 17, 2014 This Kodachrome postcard published in the late 1950s shows the numerous apartment […]


    Grand Old Opera house

    September 9th, 2014
    by

    By MICHAEL BUSHNELL Northeast News September 10, 2014 The Grand Opera House located at Seventh and Walnut is this week’s […]


  • Local Weather