By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
May 14, 2014
According to the Nor’easter, Volume 1, Number 1, under the leadership of Editor Nathan Scarritt, the first journalistic endeavor at Northeast High School was launched on Dec. 25, 1913.
A scant 50 or so pages, the first Nor’easter exemplifies the “spirit of the purple” through its faculty led by Mr. Clifford B. Reynolds, Principal, and Mr. Clifford H. Nowlin, Vice Principal. Construction of the edifice itself began in October of 1912 when the contract was let to Mr. Lovett.
Ground was secured for the building on what was then known as Abington Boulevard, between Smart and Thompson. Classes were actually held in the old Central High School building at 11th & Locust prior to the building’s completion. Enrollment at the time was 55 Seniors, 93 Juniors, 169 Sophomores and 317 Freshmen for a total of 634 students.
By the time the first edition of the Nor’easter was produced in December of 1913, enrollment had swelled to 710.
The building we know as Northeast High School opened in April of 1913 and Miss Nelson began work as the school clerk in May of that same year.
The school colors of purple and white were chosen by election. A committee of eighteen students submitted purple and white vs. the second place colors of black and old gold. (Mizzou anyone?)
This week’s postcard, published by the Southwest News Company of Kansas City shows the finished school looking (fittingly) to the Northeast from the intersection of Van Brunt Blvd. and Thompson Ave.
This weekend the Alumni Association of Northeast will be hosting a gala centennial celebration on the school grounds. Tours of the school will be provided as well as a variety of other activities will help kick off the school’s second century.