Longview: a model company farm

PC-longview farm.jpg

Northeast News
April 30, 2014

When it opened in 1914, Longview was hailed as “the world’s most beautiful farm.”

Longview Farm was the country estate of Kansas City lumber baron and local philanthropist Robert Alexander Long. This real photo postcard shows the Hog Barn at Longview Farms, Lee’s Summit, Mo. The primary residence at Longview was the Longview Mansion, also known as the Long Country Home.

The mansion, along with 50 other farm structures, was constructed in just 18 months between 1913 and 1914. An army of 50 Belgian craftsmen and close to 200 Sicilian stone-masons were among the 2,000 workers employed to turn roughly 1,700 acres of “scrub” into one of the most beautiful working farms in the country.

Long’s daughter, Loula, and her husband Robert Pryor Combs lived at Longview for over 60 years as she competed in and won international horse shows in New York, Canada and England. She became known as the Queen of the American Royal and is in the Madison Square Garden Hall of Fame. All of her prize-winning horses were raised and trained at Longview Farm, including her favorite, Revelation, whose grave marker is in front of the Show Horse Arena.

Today, much of the farm is gone, subdivided into park land, Longview Lake and a “new Longview” development of “walkable” neighborhoods filled with new homes, shops and a charter school fashioned from one of the Long horse barns. The only original structures that were retained are the mansion, the chapel and a few of the horse barns. Gone are the worker’s cottages, the hospital barn, the hog manager’s residence and most of the other out buildings that once dotted the countryside just west of Lee’s Summit, on what was known far and wide as the world’s most beautiful farm.

Comments are closed.

  • Day of thanks develops into national holiday over 240 years

    November 25th, 2015

    Northeast News What we celebrate as Thanksgiving is traditionally tied to a three-day feast involving the Pilgrims after their first harvest in 1621.

    Tunnel gave thrilling ride from downtown to West Bottoms

    November 18th, 2015

    Northeast News Standing in the glass foyer of the State Street Securities building at Eighth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and looking east along the Eighth Street corridor, it’s easy to

    Corner market did business on Ninth St.

    November 11th, 2015

    Northeast News Although there’s a vacant lot where Benedict L. Bredburg’s Metropolitan Grocery once stood, such “corner markets” were the rule rather than the exception in the fabric of communities

    Veterinary school thrives near turn of the century

    November 4th, 2015

    Northeast News What began in 1891 in two rented rooms in the Schutte Building near 11th

    Author Poe lives on through this postcard

    October 27th, 2015

    Northeast News This Halloween, we depart from our traditional Jack-O-Lantern or witching-style postcard and offer this literary postcard published by the Webb Freyschlag Company of Kansas City.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored in historic postcard

    October 20th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    Later that year, an engine company was formed (McGee Hook and

    Sugar Creek’s original amusement park

    October 13th, 2015

    Northeast News Fairmont Park was developed in 1897 by early Kansas City railroad developer Arthur E.

    Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Rep. John Rizzo to run for Missouri’s vacant 11th District Senate seat

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News Nov. 27, 2015 Kansas City, Missouri — Over the Thanksgiving holiday, John Rizzo, D-Kansas City, announced […]

    Urban Dirty rides in 2015

    Down and dirty along Cliff Drive. Last weekend, men, women and children of all ages took on a cycling course specifically designed to test their strength and stamina during the first

    Celebrate Whoville Holidays with the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — ‘Tis the season for holiday Who-spitality” at the City Market. Whos of all ages are invited to Whoville Holidays, an annual tradition at the City Market.