Blue River once an urban oasis

PC-blue river.jpg

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
March 26, 2014

This real photo postcard showing the Blue River near 15th Street was published in the early 1900s by the North American Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo. It was sent from #16 N. 15th St. in Kansas City, Kan. to Mrs. Henry D. Meyer of St. Charles, Mo. on June 26, 1912.

The message is written in German. The river is well below normal levels – the water line along the steep banks shows just how far. Cottages and rental craft outfitters lined the banks of the Blue from near its confluence with the Missouri, all the way south into the Leeds area.

At the time this photo was taken, the Blue River was a primary recreation area for Kansas City residents. Transportation out of the city was still difficult, but the Blue could be reached by streetcar, automobile or horse and buggy very easily along a variety of city streets. Warm spring days found boat and cottage owners alike working vigorously to ready their watercraft and recreational homes for the summer boating season. It was not uncommon to hear the whoops and hollers of spectators watching canoe races along the river throughout the summer.

The “ox-bow” bend in the river just south of 15th Street was recently straightened by the Army Corps of Engineers in order to alleviate flooding along its meandering path. The bridge in the background of the photo is the precursor to the massive four-lane Truman Road Bridge.

Comments are closed.

  • Gayety Theater once took center stage

    July 28th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Built of reinforced concrete and ornamental brick at a cost of $115,000, the Gayety Theater stood on the former site of the A.W. Armour home, one of the


    From the Black Hills to the Blacktop, the Sturgis Rally endures

    July 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Aug. 3, 2015, marks the beginning of the 75th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Black Hills of South Dakota.


    Castle Hahatonka serves as an oasis from hectic city living

    July 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Here I will spend my leisure, secure from the worries of business and the excitement of city life.


    Legend lives on at Lover’s Leap

    July 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Near the confluence of the Niangua and Osage Rivers along the south shore of the Lake of the Ozarks — mile marker 31.5 — a prominent bluff, said


    Uncle Sam ‘Wants You’ to know his origins

    June 30th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Historians aren’t completely certain how the legendary character Uncle Sam was created or how he got his name.
    One prominent theory is that Uncle Sam was named after Samuel


  • Winnwood has faded, but its legacy lives

    June 23rd, 2015
    by

    Northeast News A mere three stops after boarding the Interurban car of the KCCC&SJ’s Excelsior Springs line at 20th Street and Burlington Avenue in the then newly chartered North Kansas


    Flooding no is stranger to Kansas City’s West Bottoms

    June 16th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the result of countless days of rain and the lack of a levee system in the West Bottoms during a flood in June 1908.
    The


    Katz’s stores remain an architectural icon

    June 9th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When Isaac “Ike” Katz was 13-years-old, he quit school and went to work for the Great Northern Railway to help support his family.
    Katz walked the aisles of passenger


    Memories of the 1908 flood

    June 2nd, 2015
    by

    Northeast News As we approach the rainy summer season, it is fitting that we run a postcard showing three scenes from the West Bottoms area immediately following the great flood


    Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


  • Local Weather