Seeing Kansas City on the Gray Line

PC-yellow cab.jpg

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
March 19, 2014

“See Kansas City and know what you’re seeing,” states the description on the back of this Curt Teich 1920s vintage postcard showing the Yellow Cab Company’s touring Parlor Coach. “An instructive, enjoyable 2 1⁄2 hour trip, thirty miles of the most interesting sections of Kansas City’s parks, boulevards, business and residential sections.”

According to coach equipment records of the Kansas City Public Service Company, such parlor coaches were built by the American Car Company and the Safeway Six Wheel Company. Gross Vehicle weight was 18,700 pounds, and each coach cost $12,404.52. Interior compliments included horsehair carpeting, mahogany wood trim throughout and seats covered with fabric in the “Chase Alhambra #1012″ in #1130 Blue.

Each coach had a capacity of 30 passengers and cost roughly 32.77 cents per coach mile to operate. Double-decker models built by the St. Louis Car Company were also used in Kansas City along primary bus routes operated by the Kansas City Public Service Company.

Comments are closed.

  • Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


    Motel Capri – Northeast’s Gold Standard for Motor Inns

    May 12th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In the late 1950’s, an empty plat of ground just north of the old Boy’s Hotel at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue caught the eye of three local


    Cursed be the villain who molests these graves

    May 5th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In January of 1859, the town of Wyandot was incorporated and two streets were cut across what we now know as the Huron Indian Cemetery.


    Cliff Drive’s legacy endures time as a world-class park

    April 28th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Cliff Drive, Kansas City, Missouri.”
    So reads the description on the front of this postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company.


    As KC grew, so grew the City Market

    April 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Building the imposing new City Hall at Fifth and Main Streets required the installation of roughly 60 circular caissons, five feet across, to support the massive structure.


  • Fairyland lives on in photo postcard

    April 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the view of Fairyland Park from the top of the roller coaster in the 1930s.


    History remains bridge to the past

    April 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In 1950, there were only two bridges that spanned the Missouri River to the north, offering access to downtown Kansas City.
    The old Hannibal Bridge, originally constructed in 1917,


    Main Street Theater history lives on

    March 31st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News The marquee on the Max Bernstein postcard of the Main Street Theater shows the vaudeville team of Williams and Wolfus playing, as well as Lydia Barry.
    “Williams and Wolfus”


    Fort Osage serves both past and present

    March 24th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard is an early Chrome-type postcard published by James Tetrick of Kansas City showing historic Fort Osage near Sibley.


    The original Kansas City Hummer vehicle

    March 17th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When you think of a Hummer these days, the first thing to probably come to mind is the monstrous SUV that began its life as a utility vehicle


  • Local Weather