Durand's chicken dinners-nothing better

Durands_2_19.JPG

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
February 19, 2014

This Linen era advertising postcard showcases the famous Durand’s Restaurant in Platte Woods, Mo.

Platte Woods is not often thought of as a bastion of history given its largely rural setting and Northland location.

The larger portion of its development came in the 1930’s when Ernie Thompson envisioned the “Garden Spot of Platte County” and began to offer residential building lots.

In 1938, the Platte Woods Improvement Association was formed.

In 1956, in order to avoid annexation by a fast growing Kansas City, Platte Woods incorporated itself as a fourth-class city.

Prior to being bisected by the construction of I-29, Platte Woods was a bucolic suburban setting with streets such as Red Haw Lane, Crystal Pool Drive, both of which would cross hill and dale, passing two spring-fed ponds. At the time, Hwy. 9 was an old dirt road that connected Historic Parkville with US Hwy. 71.

The city’s southern boundary, Linden Road (now Northwest Road and 72 St.) was an old stage road that ran between Gladstone and Parkville.

The old Durand’s Restaurant was across the highway from Richardson’s Fina Service Station and just down the road from Dean Cox’s City Service station.

The Durand’s building was razed in the late 1960’s to make way for the construction of commercial buildings that would house First Federal Savings and a convenience store.

Richardson’s Fina is now a rental car outlet and Cox’s old station was razed in the late 1970’s to make way for a strip mall.

The description on the back of the card reads: “Durand’s Restaurant, 7512 NW. Hwy. 71, Platte Woods, MO., 10 miles north of Downtown Kansas City at the junction of Highways 9 and 71. Finest chicken dinners with hot biscuits that melt in your mouth. Carry out service, catering and small parties. Distinctive country atmosphere, air conditioned, plenty of parking. Phone SH1-9835.”

The card was mailed to Mr. and Mrs. Reid, Box 356, Parkville, MO., on Jan. 15, 1960. The message reads: “Hi folks. Thought you would like to know of a place that has honest to goodness good food, where they always make you feel at home. See you there. George and Bettie”.

Comments are closed.

  • Vanderslice made it big in the KC ice and coal business

    August 23rd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, in celebration of the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote, we showcase an advertising postcard published for


    Highest point in Kansas City housed corruption cleanser

    August 16th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This advertising postcard from The Westmoreland Company shows a residence at 74th and Mercier streets.


    Benton Circle: the early days

    August 9th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a card John Straley published between 1925-1930 titled “The Benton Circle,” shown in its original configuration at the intersection of St.


    Neighborhood school built on history

    August 2nd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Located on the corner of Prospect Boulevard and Amie Court, Garfield Elementary School was one of the first ward schools in Kansas City.


    Troost Lake connects to streetcar, Mormon histories

    July 26th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Opening to the public in 1888, Troost Park and adjoining Troost Lake were the ideas of the Kansas City Cable Railway Company (later known as the Kansas City


  • The wild waters of pre-levee Kansas City

    July 19th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Published by the North American Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo., this week’s card is a Real Photo Postcard showing the West Bottoms area looking northwest toward the


    Christmas in July

    July 12th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, a rare treat — a Real Photo postcard showing a newly completed Penn Valley Drive in Penn Valley Park, Kansas City, Mo.


    Bible College once served Historic Northeast

    July 6th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for “girls,” the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge Avenue) and Askew avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas


    Celebrating with Uncle Sam: Happy Fourth of July!

    June 28th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Historians aren’t completely certain how the legendary character Uncle Sam was created, or for whom (if anyone) he was named.


    Kansas City’s old Convention Hall

    June 21st, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a rare advertising postcard showing the old Convention Hall, which was destroyed by fire in early April 1900 — just 90 days prior to


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Area man injured in shooting behind Northeast News

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News August 25, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – Just before midnight on Wednesday, August 24, KCPD […]

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder [...]

    Northeast railroad bridge continues to stifle motorists

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The sight is all too common; a capsized semi-truck blocking traffic along Independence Avenue. Northeast residents know the spot.