El Tovar Hotel – life on the rim

El Tovar Hotel.jpg

Northeast News
January 22, 2014

“The El Tovar Hotel, On the rim, Grand Canyon Arizona. A familiar scene along the walk from the Lookout Studio or the Bright Angel Lodge. The El Tovar looms up on the edge of a sheer precipice from which one may look down a mile to the bottom of its dizzy depth. The rim in the distance is 14 miles away.”

Such is the description on the back of this linen era postcard published by the Lollesgard Specialty Company of Tuscon and Phoenix, Ariz. The El Tovar, seen in the upper right of this postcard, was built in 1904 and opened in January, 1905, prior to the Grand Canyon being named a National Landmark on federally protected lands.

Constructed of Oregon pine and locally quarried limestone, the design was carried out by noted Topeka, Kan., Architect Charles Whittlesey, working under contract to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway. The lower portions of the building are mainly log construction, yielding to lap-board siding on the upper levels. As far as architectural styling is concerned, the El Tovar is eclectic in nature where strong elements of the Arts and Crafts movement are melded with the styling of a Swiss Chalet.

The hotel is one of a handful of Harvey Houses still in operation today and was the benchmark for a design style picked up in other National Park destinations such as Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. The El Tovar was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and designated a National Landmark in 1987.

Comments are closed.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

  • Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

    Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

  • Local Weather