This alley was outta this world


Northeast News
January 8, 2014

Outfitted in what we today refer to as “retro-chic,” the All Star Bowl at 6000 Independence Ave. was all the rage during the 1950s and 60s with its beautiful Space Lounge.

Billed as “Northeast Kansas City’s Family Recreation Center,” the bowling alley offered “24 ultra-modern automatic lanes, complete with Pro-Shop children’s playroom and featuring the Beautiful Space Lounge.” A four-foot planet Earth was suspended over the circular bar in the center of the lounge. Other planets, comets, quasars, rocket-ships and satellites were hand painted on the wall’s blue background, making bowlers feel as if they really were in outer space. Colored lights danced along the walls as if a comet had just passed through the lounge itself.

Belle Shaw, a local “scratch” bowler, went on to become an accomplished professional bowler, after having started her career right here in Historic Northeast. Back in the day, no fewer than four bowling alleys were located in Northeast: Allen Bowl near Van Brunt and Independence, just down from the Nu-Way Drive In; Northeast Bowl, right behind the historic Fire Station #23 at St. John and Elmwood; Sheffield Lanes, where Car Quest Auto parts is now; and of course, the All Star Bowl.

Leagues were common and neighbors often met five nights a week to bowl against other area teams. “Double-Dutch” bowling was a game in which one couple (man and woman team) bowled against couple for the “kitty.” One of the rules was that swear words cost an extra quarter, and whoever won the match got the prize kitty. The bowling alley has since been closed and was Club Millennium for a few years.

Most recently, after an extensive overhaul, the building operates as CSL Plasma, a far cry from its campy, former incarnation as the “spaciest” bowl around.

Comments are closed.

  • Day of thanks develops into national holiday over 240 years

    November 25th, 2015

    Northeast News What we celebrate as Thanksgiving is traditionally tied to a three-day feast involving the Pilgrims after their first harvest in 1621.

    Tunnel gave thrilling ride from downtown to West Bottoms

    November 18th, 2015

    Northeast News Standing in the glass foyer of the State Street Securities building at Eighth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and looking east along the Eighth Street corridor, it’s easy to

    Corner market did business on Ninth St.

    November 11th, 2015

    Northeast News Although there’s a vacant lot where Benedict L. Bredburg’s Metropolitan Grocery once stood, such “corner markets” were the rule rather than the exception in the fabric of communities

    Veterinary school thrives near turn of the century

    November 4th, 2015

    Northeast News What began in 1891 in two rented rooms in the Schutte Building near 11th

    Author Poe lives on through this postcard

    October 27th, 2015

    Northeast News This Halloween, we depart from our traditional Jack-O-Lantern or witching-style postcard and offer this literary postcard published by the Webb Freyschlag Company of Kansas City.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored in historic postcard

    October 20th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    Later that year, an engine company was formed (McGee Hook and

    Sugar Creek’s original amusement park

    October 13th, 2015

    Northeast News Fairmont Park was developed in 1897 by early Kansas City railroad developer Arthur E.

    Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Rep. John Rizzo to run for Missouri’s vacant 11th District Senate seat

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News Nov. 27, 2015 Kansas City, Missouri — Over the Thanksgiving holiday, John Rizzo, D-Kansas City, announced […]

    Urban Dirty rides in 2015

    Down and dirty along Cliff Drive. Last weekend, men, women and children of all ages took on a cycling course specifically designed to test their strength and stamina during the first

    Celebrate Whoville Holidays with the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — ‘Tis the season for holiday Who-spitality” at the City Market. Whos of all ages are invited to Whoville Holidays, an annual tradition at the City Market.