Park still neighborhood centerpiece

PC-heathwood park.jpg

Northeast News
December 18, 2013

Once a cornfield with a wood fence around it, Heathwood Park at 10th and L Road was created as part of the Parkwood residential district in Kansas City, Kan. in the early 1900s.

In May of 1947, the park was profiled in an article entitled “Big Trees of the Midwest,” written for the American Midland Naturalist by Kendall Laughlin. Laughlin, a tree enthusiast from Chicago Ill., traveled the Midwest extensively as part of the American Forestry Association’s Big Trees Registry, searching for the largest, old growth trees in the region. The tree in Heathwood Park had a diameter of 2.5 feet and a circumference of 8.8 feet.

In October of 2005, the park underwent a face lift of sorts when former Kansas City Chief Dante Hall and his X-Factor Foundation in conjunction with KaBoom and Thrivent Financial for Lutherans installed a new jungle gym and made a host of façade improvements to the park. The park is still used by the surrounding community and is now under the management and care of Wyandotte County’s Unified Government.

The card was mailed to Mrs. Maggie Lewis of Rural Route 20, Berryton, Kan., on May 14, 1917. The message on back lacks most punctuation or capitalization, but reads like a telegram: “Dear Cousin, How are you getting along and how is Roy? Was sorry to hear that he got hurt. Hope he is feeling better. Uncle Will says he is feeling better this morning than he did yesterday. Seems to be getting along just as well as he can, will be back home soon so write and let us know how Roy is. As ever, Minnie.”

The “L Road,” as it is noted on the front of the card, was re-named “Parallel Parkway” and is part of the Kansas City, Kan. boulevard and parkway system.

Comments are closed.

  • Day of thanks develops into national holiday over 240 years

    November 25th, 2015

    Northeast News What we celebrate as Thanksgiving is traditionally tied to a three-day feast involving the Pilgrims after their first harvest in 1621.

    Tunnel gave thrilling ride from downtown to West Bottoms

    November 18th, 2015

    Northeast News Standing in the glass foyer of the State Street Securities building at Eighth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and looking east along the Eighth Street corridor, it’s easy to

    Corner market did business on Ninth St.

    November 11th, 2015

    Northeast News Although there’s a vacant lot where Benedict L. Bredburg’s Metropolitan Grocery once stood, such “corner markets” were the rule rather than the exception in the fabric of communities

    Veterinary school thrives near turn of the century

    November 4th, 2015

    Northeast News What began in 1891 in two rented rooms in the Schutte Building near 11th

    Author Poe lives on through this postcard

    October 27th, 2015

    Northeast News This Halloween, we depart from our traditional Jack-O-Lantern or witching-style postcard and offer this literary postcard published by the Webb Freyschlag Company of Kansas City.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored in historic postcard

    October 20th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    Later that year, an engine company was formed (McGee Hook and

    Sugar Creek’s original amusement park

    October 13th, 2015

    Northeast News Fairmont Park was developed in 1897 by early Kansas City railroad developer Arthur E.

    Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Rep. John Rizzo to run for Missouri’s vacant 11th District Senate seat

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News Nov. 27, 2015 Kansas City, Missouri — Over the Thanksgiving holiday, John Rizzo, D-Kansas City, announced […]

    Urban Dirty rides in 2015

    Down and dirty along Cliff Drive. Last weekend, men, women and children of all ages took on a cycling course specifically designed to test their strength and stamina during the first

    Celebrate Whoville Holidays with the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — ‘Tis the season for holiday Who-spitality” at the City Market. Whos of all ages are invited to Whoville Holidays, an annual tradition at the City Market.