Warneke’s TipTop: A Kansas City icon

PC -warneke bakery.jpg

 

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
November 27, 2013


When John Warneke arrived in Jackson County, Mo. in 1866, Kansas City’s population barely topped 15,000 souls, all intent on making a life in the newly-settled boom town on the edge of the frontier.

Warneke had learned the baking trade in Germany, where he was born 33 years earlier. He immigrated to the United States as a young man, settling first in New York, then moving to Independence and ultimately Kansas City. He immediately set up a baking business in a one-room shop near what was then known as the Levy, a row of buildings precariously built along the Missouri River’s edge, not far from the confluence of the Kansas River. (We now refer to this as “The Town of Kansas,” near present-day City Market.) Warneke quickly outgrew the cramped confines and moved his shop to 1509 Grand Ave.

Following his death in 1886, Warneke’s sons took over operation of the prosperous baking business. In 1917, they moved the bakery to a newly constructed plant at the southwest corner of 14th and Chestnut. It is shown on this postcard published by the Elite Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo. Through consolidations, Warnekes’ bakery became Consumers Baking, and subsequently, the General Baking Company. General consolidated all production to its Smith Steam bakery at 600 East 18th St. in 1937, and the Chestnut property was left dormant until the Wilcox Electric Company bought it in 1942. The baking ovens were removed, and the plant was retrofitted to manufacture communications equipment for the emerging airlines.

The building still stands today and is fully utilized by Certified Safety Manufacturing, which produces first-aid and safety products distributed worldwide.

Comments are closed.

  • From the Black Hills to the Blacktop, the Sturgis Rally endures

    July 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Aug. 3, 2015, marks the beginning of the 75th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Black Hills of South Dakota.


    Castle Hahatonka serves as an oasis from hectic city living

    July 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Here I will spend my leisure, secure from the worries of business and the excitement of city life.


    Legend lives on at Lover’s Leap

    July 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Near the confluence of the Niangua and Osage Rivers along the south shore of the Lake of the Ozarks — mile marker 31.5 — a prominent bluff, said


    Uncle Sam ‘Wants You’ to know his origins

    June 30th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Historians aren’t completely certain how the legendary character Uncle Sam was created or how he got his name.
    One prominent theory is that Uncle Sam was named after Samuel


    Winnwood has faded, but its legacy lives

    June 23rd, 2015
    by

    Northeast News A mere three stops after boarding the Interurban car of the KCCC&SJ’s Excelsior Springs line at 20th Street and Burlington Avenue in the then newly chartered North Kansas


  • Flooding no is stranger to Kansas City’s West Bottoms

    June 16th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the result of countless days of rain and the lack of a levee system in the West Bottoms during a flood in June 1908.
    The


    Katz’s stores remain an architectural icon

    June 9th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When Isaac “Ike” Katz was 13-years-old, he quit school and went to work for the Great Northern Railway to help support his family.
    Katz walked the aisles of passenger


    Memories of the 1908 flood

    June 2nd, 2015
    by

    Northeast News As we approach the rainy summer season, it is fitting that we run a postcard showing three scenes from the West Bottoms area immediately following the great flood


    Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


    Motel Capri – Northeast’s Gold Standard for Motor Inns

    May 12th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In the late 1950’s, an empty plat of ground just north of the old Boy’s Hotel at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue caught the eye of three local


  • Local Weather