Plaza Living: the epitome of style

PC-brush creek.jpg

Northeast News
October 16, 2013

This Kodachrome postcard published in the late 1950s shows the numerous apartment buildings built on the south side of Brush Creek near the Country Club Plaza. The bridge shown in the card was deemed obsolete following the tragic flood of 1977, which killed 25 people and caused more than $100 million in damages to businesses along the banks of the normally placid creek.

A new bridge was erected in 1980-81 that allowed for a more freely flowing Brush Creek during high water periods.

Easily visible in the foreground of the card is the concrete-lined bed of Brush Creek. When J.C. Nichols first developed the Plaza as the premier shopping district in Kansas City, Brush Creek was nothing more than a trickle lined with brambles and small trees.

Soon after the Plaza’s heralded opening, political “boss” Tom Pendergast provided his “solution” to the flooding in the creek’s watershed area by lining the creek with his Ready-Mix concrete from roughly State Line to Troost Avenue. This poorly thought-out solution, however, did nothing more than create a swifter moving current through the Plaza after periods of heavy rain. This came to a head 35 years ago, when heavy rain clouds literally parked over the Kansas City area, saturating the ground with more than 12 inches of rain in some areas in a 48-hour period. The resulting disaster prompted city fathers to aggressively seek a more permanent solution to Brush Creek’s constant threat of flooding.

The new Brush Creek flood control plan was completed after the flood of 1998. The apartments pictured in the background were among the first to be erected overlooking the Plaza business district. From right to left are the Villa Serena (now the Hotel Raphael), the Locarno, the Riviera (now the Hemingway Plaza East condominiums), the Biarritz, and the Casa Loma. All were built in the mid- to late-1920s.

Comments are closed.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

  • Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

    Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

  • Local Weather