West Bottoms drove KC’s economy

postcard-west bottoms.jpg

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
September 18, 2013

Not long before Fred Harvey had the picture taken for this postcard, the old Union Depot was demolished. A new Union Station had just been erected and dedicated close to the city’s core on Pershing Road.

This view of the old Central Industrial District shows how things looked from the vantage of riding the Ninth Street incline from downtown to the meat packing district and stock yards.

Missouri Avenue, where the old Union Depot was located, is prominent in the left-center of the card. A large empty space can be seen where the old depot once stood. In the foreground, Bluff Road (as it is presently known) is the main north-south artery along the west side of the great bluff overlooking the district. The iron bridge in the center of the card was demolished in 2005 in order to make a safer, wider structure and ramp leading into the district. To the right, Sewall Paint & Glass as well as Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company buildings are visible.

Loose-Wiles, as you may know, went on to become Sunshine Biscuits, part of the Nabisco family of products.

Fred Harvey was a prolific businessman of his day, operating restaurants and hotels and publishing postcards depicting the wonderful vistas found in the cities where he operated his businesses.

Comments are closed.

  • Summer brings rain, sometimes flooding

    May 17th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News As we approach the summer rain season, it is fitting that we run a postcard showing a scene in the West Bottoms during the great flood of 1908:


    Staley’s Educated Twins

    May 10th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Romeo and Aureo are identical twin pigs. They have traveled all over the country and are well educated.


    Roses are red … and pink, and white …

    May 3rd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Between October 21-24 of 1864, the area we now know as Loose Park was the scene of one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War west of


    ‘One of the greatest playgrounds in America’

    April 26th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News The description inside this vintage 1930s Curt Teich linen postcard folder of the Lake of the Ozarks reads, “Lake of the Ozarks is formed by a huge dam


    Those were some postcards! (And that’s no exaggeration)

    April 19th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News William H. “Dad” Martin of Ottawa, Kan., is considered to be the father of the exaggerated postcard.


  • We all went fishin’ with Harold

    April 12th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News “Gone fishin, instead of just a wishin.” Those once-obscure lyrics became Harold Easley’s theme song as he ventured weekly to various outdoor spots throughout the world to spotlight


    Sharp Building stood downtown

    April 5th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard, published by the South West News Company of Kansas City, Mo., features a Real Photo postcard view of the Sharp Building on Petticoat Lane.


    Union Station image adorned with swastikas didn’t symbolize Nazis

    March 29th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week we feature a souvenir postcard published by long-time postcard publisher Max Bernstein in 1921.


    Come on, ride this train

    March 22nd, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard collage shows the Kansas City Southern Lines Southern Belle – Sweetheart of American Trains.


    Sweet sound of St. Pat’s

    March 15th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Postcards such as the one above have long been used to convey greetings to friends and relatives afar. The man who became St.


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Saturday Night in the Northeast: Music and Shakespeare

    Northeast News May 22, 2016 The Pepper Sprouts played live music at the Colonnade for the season-opening edition of the […]

    Field Day at Scuola Vita Nuova!

    Northeast News May 20, 2016 Scoula Vita Nuova (535 Garfield Ave, Kansas City, MO 64124) held its annual field day […]

    Northeast Farmer’s Market begins season

    Northeast News May 19, 2016 The Northeast Farmer’s Market opened for the season on Thursday, May 19, from 4:00 p.m. […]