The ‘Great American Shoe Store’

pc.tif

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
August 7, 2013

These days all you’ll find near the intersection of Eighth and Delaware streets is some green space and a few surface parking lots. But prior to the time when the Sixth Street Trafficway (now Interstate 70) first cut through the heart of downtown, the area was a bustling part of Kansas City’s garment district.

Published by E.W. Meredeth Advertising of Peoria, Ill., this promotional postcard shows the women’s shoe department of the G.R. Kinney Co. located at 814-18 Delaware Ave. The card depicts attentive salesmen helping women select pairs of shoes. The walls are lined with a huge variety of women’s shoes, all,
according to the description on the back, “Ladies Fine Footwear, $1.98-$3.98. The same shoes for less money.”

Such was G.R. Kinney’s mantra for his chain of stores then headquartered in upstate New York. The ambitious young George Romanta Kinney revolutionized footwear retailing by offering popularly priced shoes to working Americans. His concept of providing excellent service to customers, a commitment to local communities, the best footwear for the price, and ample opportunities and rewards for all employees remained a steady corporate-wide goal through the years.

Kinney’s fierce dedication to entrepreneurship made his business last 104 years. In 1998, the company ceased operations, closing all of its Specialty Footwear operations, including 467 Kinney shoe stores and 103 Footquarters stores. The “Great American Shoe Store” was no more.

Comments are closed.

  • Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


    Motel Capri – Northeast’s Gold Standard for Motor Inns

    May 12th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In the late 1950’s, an empty plat of ground just north of the old Boy’s Hotel at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue caught the eye of three local


    Cursed be the villain who molests these graves

    May 5th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In January of 1859, the town of Wyandot was incorporated and two streets were cut across what we now know as the Huron Indian Cemetery.


    Cliff Drive’s legacy endures time as a world-class park

    April 28th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Cliff Drive, Kansas City, Missouri.”
    So reads the description on the front of this postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company.


    As KC grew, so grew the City Market

    April 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Building the imposing new City Hall at Fifth and Main Streets required the installation of roughly 60 circular caissons, five feet across, to support the massive structure.


  • Fairyland lives on in photo postcard

    April 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the view of Fairyland Park from the top of the roller coaster in the 1930s.


    History remains bridge to the past

    April 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In 1950, there were only two bridges that spanned the Missouri River to the north, offering access to downtown Kansas City.
    The old Hannibal Bridge, originally constructed in 1917,


    Main Street Theater history lives on

    March 31st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News The marquee on the Max Bernstein postcard of the Main Street Theater shows the vaudeville team of Williams and Wolfus playing, as well as Lydia Barry.
    “Williams and Wolfus”


    Fort Osage serves both past and present

    March 24th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard is an early Chrome-type postcard published by James Tetrick of Kansas City showing historic Fort Osage near Sibley.


    The original Kansas City Hummer vehicle

    March 17th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When you think of a Hummer these days, the first thing to probably come to mind is the monstrous SUV that began its life as a utility vehicle


  • Local Weather