Vaughn’s Diamond was standout building downtown

Northeast News
July 17, 2013

What became known as “The Junction” was actually the intersection of three primary streets in early downtown Kansas City with Vaughn’s Diamond at the center of the three streets.

Vaughn’s Diamond Building was one of the most prominent buildings in Kansas City during the 1800s and early 1900s. The property was originally plotted as part of Ross and Scarritt’s addition, and in 1857, Samuel Vaughn, a local real estate agent and investor, purchased the property. Vaughn hired noted architect Asa Beebe Cross to design a long, narrow building that would fit the odd shaped parcel. The result was a four-story, Second Empire-style office building constructed in 1869 for roughly $30,000 that would dominate the downtown skyline for more than 40 years.

By 1890, the Ninth and Main streets intersection was one of the busiest intersections in the city, requiring a full-time traffic officer (Mike Tuite) to shout “wide awake” or “clear the tracks” to unwitting pedestrians who happened to be in the way of the Ninth Street streetcar that often came careening down the hill toward the Junction. The building was demolished in 1915 to make way for the new Westlake Hotel. After years of decline, the hotel was demolished in 1954 after the structure was sold to the Land Clearance Redevelopment Authority. Both streets were realigned, and today the statue “Muse of the Missouri” stands on the site.

The message on the back of the C.U. Williams postcard reads, “Dear Grace, I could not send you anything for Christmastime but will send your present as soon as I get downtown again. Love Bill.” The card was mailed to Grace Browning of Greencastle, Ind., on Jan. 13, 1910.




Comments are closed.

  • Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

    Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

  • Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

    Gayety Theater once took center stage

    July 28th, 2015

    Northeast News Built of reinforced concrete and ornamental brick at a cost of $115,000, the Gayety Theater stood on the former site of the A.W. Armour home, one of the

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Trail work continues along Cliff Drive Scenic Byway

    Michael Bushnell Northeast News Oct. 1, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — How did VML celebrate VML Worldwide Foundation Day? With […]

    HUD awards Kansas City with $30 million grant

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — Say goodbye to Chouteau Courts. On Monday, Sept. 28, during a stop in Kansas City, Julián Castro, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder

    retorts illustrated bryan stalder [...]