Piece of Ozarks history now a rusting hulk

PC-larry-don

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
July 10, 2013

If you’re a fan of Lake Ozark, Mo., and everything that is the Lake of the Ozarks, then remember seeing the Larry-Don excursion boat plying the waters of the lake, ferrying sight-seeing tours along the almost 1,400 miles of shoreline on a daily basis?

This week’s postcard, “The ‘Larry-Don’ Excursion Boat, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri,” was published by the Corwin News Agency of Jefferson City, Mo. The description on the back of the card states: “The newest and largest excursion boat on the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, the ‘Larry-Don’ is an excellent ship with a capacity of 200 persons. Covering an area of 65,000 acres, the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks is 130 miles long with a shore line of 1,372 miles.”

Originally commissioned by Lawrence Fry and built in 1949, the Larry-Don is the longest serving passenger boat in the lake region. The Larry-Don was, according to local legend, built of parts from scrapped World War II LCIs and LSTs (Landing Craft, Infantry and Landing Ship, Tank). It was quartered in St. Louis and trucked the 150 miles to the lake. The boat is named for Mr. Fry’s son, Larry, and his nephew, Don.

The pleasure craft underwent extensive modifications in the 1960s and now boasts a cover over the second deck, complete with sliding glass windows to keep inclement weather at bay. A new, third “sun deck” was added to increase capacity at the same time. The boat has been a popular place for couples to tie the knot; back in the day, if you were wed on the Larry-Don, you received a lucky horseshoe inscribed with the Larry-Don name and “Good Luck.” Recently the Captain Larry-Don and the company that operates the craft from Casino Pier have fallen on hard times. The Captain Larry-Don, according to sources at Tom Sawyer Paddlewheel Cruises (next door to Casino Pier), hasn’t cruised in over five years. Her sister ship, “The Commander” is in dry dock, as well. The two boats are reportedly bank owned and for sale.

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.

  • As KC grew, so grew the City Market

    April 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Building the imposing new City Hall at Fifth and Main Streets required the installation of roughly 60 circular caissons, five feet across, to support the massive structure.


    Fairyland lives on in photo postcard

    April 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the view of Fairyland Park from the top of the roller coaster in the 1930s.


    History remains bridge to the past

    April 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In 1950, there were only two bridges that spanned the Missouri River to the north, offering access to downtown Kansas City.
    The old Hannibal Bridge, originally constructed in 1917,


    Main Street Theater history lives on

    March 31st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News The marquee on the Max Bernstein postcard of the Main Street Theater shows the vaudeville team of Williams and Wolfus playing, as well as Lydia Barry.
    “Williams and Wolfus”


    Fort Osage serves both past and present

    March 24th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard is an early Chrome-type postcard published by James Tetrick of Kansas City showing historic Fort Osage near Sibley.


  • The original Kansas City Hummer vehicle

    March 17th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When you think of a Hummer these days, the first thing to probably come to mind is the monstrous SUV that began its life as a utility vehicle


    Greetings from Saint Patrick

    March 10th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Postcards such as this have long been used to convey greetings conveniently to friends and relatives afar.


    The White Company delivers innovation through history

    March 4th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Our standard has always been to build a car able to surmount any road conditions which might be encountered.


    Postcard shows business as usual in 1909

    February 18th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Risqué postcards, like the one shown here, have been around for as long as postcards themselves.
    Prior to the advent of postcards as a private communication medium, those looking


    Missouri’s home-state railroad

    February 11th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Published for the Missouri Pacific–Iron Mountain Railway, the promotional postcard shows a picturesque view as described by the caption: “Along the Missouri River for more than 100 miles


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Early morning fire at original Gates Bar B.Q., restaurant expects to be open today

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News April 24, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — An early morning fire won’t stop Gates Bar B. […]

    Police release photos, video of person of interest in Scarritt burglaries

    Kansas City Police Detectives yesterday released a photo and a video of a person of interest in the string of burglaries that has plagued the North Gladstone Boulevard corridor area over

    Trinity Affordable Housing purchases apartments

    By Joe Jarosz Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — A recent meeting has neighborhood residents cautiously optimistic about the future of a Northeast apartment complex. Northeast residents gathered in the office of