And the rains came


Northeast News
June 12, 2013

Seems fitting with the spring rains we’re experiencing that we run a photo postcard showing a scene in the West Bottoms during the great flood of 1908.

The postcard depicts 13th and Hickory streets during the June flood. The John Deere Plow Company building can be seen with floodwaters from the Missouri and Kansas rivers lapping at its door and loading dock. At that time, there were no levies or dikes to channel the swirling river’s water away from business and residential districts along its banks.

Five years earlier, the “great” flood of 1903 occurred, flooding the same area and interrupting train service to Kansas City for almost two weeks. During both floods, livestock from the stockyards was paraded up walkways and into the Livestock Exchange building in order to avoid financial ruin for owners and traders. Millions, however, were lost in both stock and property during the two floods.

It should be no surprise that following the 1908 flood, city leaders drew up plans to move the then-called Union Depot from the oft-flooded West Bottoms to a higher location. The Pershing Road location was chosen for the new depot, Union Station.

This real photo postcard was sent to Miss Rose Dierks who resided at Armour Boulevard and The Paseo. It reads, “Best regards and wishes from yours truly.” It is signed with the initials P. L. D. The card was mailed July 13, 1908.




Comments are closed.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

  • Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

    Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

  • Local Weather