Refinery part of Sugar Creek fabric

PC-Standard-Oil-Refinery

 

 

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
June 5, 2013

 

Just in time for Sugar Creek’s annual Slavic Festival this weekend, we bring you this postcard published by the Elite Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo., entitled: “Sugar Creek Refinery, Standard Oil Co., near Kansas City, Mo.” The view on the card shows a view of the refinery looking west-northwest toward the Missouri River and Kansas City.

Located roughly eight miles east of downtown Kansas City, the land for the refining operation was acquired in 1903, purchased from the Mallinson family when their farm was subdivided for development. The rumor at the time was that the land was being purchased for a goat farming operation when in fact Standard Oil of Indiana wanted the land because of its central geographic location.

Refining operations began in 1904 and employees were re-located here from the oil company’s facility in Whiting, Ind. **The principal products of the refinery were kerosene that was sold from barrels in local grocery stores to light lamps and cook stoves in area homes.***

In the beginning, workers lived in tent cities scattered around the hillsides in Sugar Creek with two long sheds used as bunk houses and kitchens. Soon, modest homes replaced the tents and streets were laid out. In 1905, a bond issue was passed by a unanimous vote of all 47 residents of the newly christened town of Sugar Creek and a school was built, the archway of which is still visible along Sterling Avenue today. The name Sugar Creek was settled on after WWI when the city was officially chartered. The name Sugar Creek is derived from Indian lore, noting  the small creek that flows through the rugged valley that was populated with sugar maple trees.

Sugar Creek’s annual Slavic Festival held in Mike Onka Park is a reunion of sorts for residents young and old to celebrate their eastern European heritage. Many of the refinery’s original employees hailed from Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Poland.  Despite the fact that the refinery ceased operations in 1982, it’s still an important link in the petroleum industry, acting as a primary fuel depot for BP America.

 

 

 

Comments are closed.

  • Troost Lake connects to streetcar, Mormon histories

    July 26th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Opening to the public in 1888, Troost Park and adjoining Troost Lake were the ideas of the Kansas City Cable Railway Company (later known as the Kansas City


    The wild waters of pre-levee Kansas City

    July 19th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Published by the North American Postcard Company of Kansas City, Mo., this week’s card is a Real Photo Postcard showing the West Bottoms area looking northwest toward the


    Christmas in July

    July 12th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, a rare treat — a Real Photo postcard showing a newly completed Penn Valley Drive in Penn Valley Park, Kansas City, Mo.


    Bible College once served Historic Northeast

    July 6th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for “girls,” the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge Avenue) and Askew avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas


    Celebrating with Uncle Sam: Happy Fourth of July!

    June 28th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Historians aren’t completely certain how the legendary character Uncle Sam was created, or for whom (if anyone) he was named.


  • Kansas City’s old Convention Hall

    June 21st, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This week, we feature a rare advertising postcard showing the old Convention Hall, which was destroyed by fire in early April 1900 — just 90 days prior to


    Century-old view of KC from river

    June 14th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Kansas City’s riverfront on the Missouri River is pictured in this old, turn-of-the-century postcard published by The Southwest News Company of Kansas City.


    Viaduct connected Kansas cities

    June 7th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This postcard, titled “United States Troops Crossing Intercity Viaduct, Kansas City, Mo.,” shows what seems to be an unending column of Army troops crossing the then-newly constructed bridge


    ‘The great white city’

    June 1st, 2016
    by

    Northeast News Electric Park was named for the 100,000 electric light bulbs outlining its buildings and rides.


    Thoroughly modern courthouse

    May 25th, 2016
    by

    Northeast News This linen postcard, showing north and west sides of what at the time was the new Jackson County Courthouse and the intersection of 12th and Oak streets, was


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Problem property burns – again

    Northeast News July 29, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – Firefighters were called to 114 N. Topping at around 6:00 a.m. […]

    Suspect charged in Northeast homicide

    By Paul Thompson Northeast News July 29, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – A 31-year-old Kansas City, Kansas man has been […]

    Woman found dead at Northeast apartment

    Northeast News July 28, 2016 KANSAS CITY, Missouri – A Northeast woman was found dead this morning in an apartment […]