“Great” Pepper Building fire



Northeast News
May 1, 2013

Wednesday, May 7, a regular day: The St. Louis Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 6-4, the Chicago Cubs beat the Brooklyn Dodgers, Tommy Burns beat Jack O’Brien in 20 rounds for the heavyweight boxing title, and the Cit   y of Kansas City witnessed its worst disaster since the Lathrop Grade School at Sixth and May was destroyed by a cyclone, killing 11 students.

The “Great” Pepper Building fire on May 7, 1907, drew a crowd said to be in the thousands. The Pepper Building stood on the northwest corner of Ninth and Locust, where the new Federal Courthouse is today.

This week’s postcard is one of a series of five or six postcards depicting the fire scene from various vantage points both during and after the conflagration. One card bearing an “x” over a top floor window shows where Miss Ellen Barnes was rescued by Fireman Charles Braun using a 50-foot extension ladder and a 16-foot “Pompier” scaling ladder. Another shows a window some 70 feet above the ground where Professor Georges DeMare was overcome by smoke and fell to his death.

The Pepper building was built in 1887, its cornerstone laid by former President Grover Cleveland. It was built around an open courtyard and was home to many private music teachers as well as the Schulze Music College. Due to the building’s open construction, the fire of unknown origin spread rapidly and was well underway long before fire equipment arrived on the already-packed scene. The narrowness of the streets and alleys meant some fire wagons were unable to get near the raging building. That made heroic rescues with the Pompier (pole) ladders necessary. The building was razed shortly after the fire.

This card bears no publisher’s mark other than the date and the description “Pepper Building Fire, May 7, 1907.”

Comments are closed.

  • Day of thanks develops into national holiday over 240 years

    November 25th, 2015

    Northeast News What we celebrate as Thanksgiving is traditionally tied to a three-day feast involving the Pilgrims after their first harvest in 1621.

    Tunnel gave thrilling ride from downtown to West Bottoms

    November 18th, 2015

    Northeast News Standing in the glass foyer of the State Street Securities building at Eighth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and looking east along the Eighth Street corridor, it’s easy to

    Corner market did business on Ninth St.

    November 11th, 2015

    Northeast News Although there’s a vacant lot where Benedict L. Bredburg’s Metropolitan Grocery once stood, such “corner markets” were the rule rather than the exception in the fabric of communities

    Veterinary school thrives near turn of the century

    November 4th, 2015

    Northeast News What began in 1891 in two rented rooms in the Schutte Building near 11th

    Author Poe lives on through this postcard

    October 27th, 2015

    Northeast News This Halloween, we depart from our traditional Jack-O-Lantern or witching-style postcard and offer this literary postcard published by the Webb Freyschlag Company of Kansas City.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored in historic postcard

    October 20th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    Later that year, an engine company was formed (McGee Hook and

    Sugar Creek’s original amusement park

    October 13th, 2015

    Northeast News Fairmont Park was developed in 1897 by early Kansas City railroad developer Arthur E.

    Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Rep. John Rizzo to run for Missouri’s vacant 11th District Senate seat

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News Nov. 27, 2015 Kansas City, Missouri — Over the Thanksgiving holiday, John Rizzo, D-Kansas City, announced […]

    Urban Dirty rides in 2015

    Down and dirty along Cliff Drive. Last weekend, men, women and children of all ages took on a cycling course specifically designed to test their strength and stamina during the first

    Celebrate Whoville Holidays with the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — ‘Tis the season for holiday Who-spitality” at the City Market. Whos of all ages are invited to Whoville Holidays, an annual tradition at the City Market.