Kansas City’s convention hall

PC_conventionhall.tif

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
April 24, 2013

Dedicated on Feb. 22, 1899, Kansas City’s new Convention Hall was as state-of-the-art as you could get for that time period.

City fathers celebrated the construction because there was finally a building large enough to accommodate larger conventions and gatherings of up to 20,000 people. The cost to erect the structure was $225,000. A little over a year later, however, the hall burned almost to the ground. Only stone walls from the building’s foundation remained. Additionally, a short 90 days later the city was to host the Democratic National Convention. Labor and trade unions set aside their differences as the city worked to reconstruct the hall in time for the convention. This is what established the Kansas City Spirit. The effort was successful and the convention was a huge success. The Democrats nominated William Jennings Bryan for the second of his three unsuccessful bids for the presidency.

This postcard, which shows the first Convention Hall, is actually a business calling card for the Union Bank Note Company of Kansas City, Mo. It does not have any space for a message or an address on the back. The card was never mailed.

Comments are closed.

  • Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


    Motel Capri – Northeast’s Gold Standard for Motor Inns

    May 12th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In the late 1950’s, an empty plat of ground just north of the old Boy’s Hotel at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue caught the eye of three local


    Cursed be the villain who molests these graves

    May 5th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In January of 1859, the town of Wyandot was incorporated and two streets were cut across what we now know as the Huron Indian Cemetery.


    Cliff Drive’s legacy endures time as a world-class park

    April 28th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Cliff Drive, Kansas City, Missouri.”
    So reads the description on the front of this postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company.


    As KC grew, so grew the City Market

    April 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Building the imposing new City Hall at Fifth and Main Streets required the installation of roughly 60 circular caissons, five feet across, to support the massive structure.


  • Fairyland lives on in photo postcard

    April 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the view of Fairyland Park from the top of the roller coaster in the 1930s.


    History remains bridge to the past

    April 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In 1950, there were only two bridges that spanned the Missouri River to the north, offering access to downtown Kansas City.
    The old Hannibal Bridge, originally constructed in 1917,


    Main Street Theater history lives on

    March 31st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News The marquee on the Max Bernstein postcard of the Main Street Theater shows the vaudeville team of Williams and Wolfus playing, as well as Lydia Barry.
    “Williams and Wolfus”


    Fort Osage serves both past and present

    March 24th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard is an early Chrome-type postcard published by James Tetrick of Kansas City showing historic Fort Osage near Sibley.


    The original Kansas City Hummer vehicle

    March 17th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When you think of a Hummer these days, the first thing to probably come to mind is the monstrous SUV that began its life as a utility vehicle


  • Local Weather