The Spring Valley Park that once was

Northeast News
March 27, 2013 

Spring Valley Park, located between 28th Street at Woodland Avenue and 29th Street at Brooklyn Avenue, lies in a natural canyon carved out during a previous ice age that exposed the natural limestone shelf and a small cave.

Once the site of a rock quarry, the 33-acre, irregularly shaped tract was taken over by the city’s Park Board in 1902.

Like the natural springs along Cliff Drive, as many as six natural springs flowed from the limestone crevasses in the park, drawing hundreds a day to partake of the cool, clear spring water. The spring water fed a small lake shown on this real photo postcard published by W. H. “Doc” Martin’s North American Postcard Company in Kansas City. The lake was a project undertaken by the Parks Department in 1905.

During the mid 1800s, the area was a favorite stopping point for Mormons traveling to Salt Lake City from Illinois. The natural rock outcropping provided shelter, and the springs were perfect for watering people and livestock.

The natural cave on the site was said to stretch underground as far east as Prospect Avenue, nearly a quarter of a mile east of the park.

By the 1930s, however, the springs had run dry and the lake began to dry up. The Parks Board graded over the lake site and erected a playground and tennis courts to fill the space. Additionally, a strip of land was acquired that now connects Spring Valley Park with Troost Park and lake about two blocks west.

The card shows the small lake looking south toward 31st Street. It was never mailed.

Comments are closed.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

  • Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

    Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

  • Local Weather