Concrete memories at Grauman’s Chinese Theater


Northeast News
January 30, 2013 

If you’re noticing a theme here in the historic postcard column over the last couple of weeks, you’d be correct.

TWA Stratoliners, quaint Key West and now this week, Grauman’s Chinese Theater in sunny Los Angeles, Calif. The theater was the brainchild of Hollywood promoter and developer Sid Grauman who, based on the huge popularity of internationally themed theaters at the time, had constructed the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. With the opulence of the Pharaohs, the theater was hugely popular among patrons who lined up for blocks to see first-run Hollywood blockbusters.

In 1927, Grauman commissioned the architectural firm of Meyer and Holler (who had designed the Egyptian) to design a Chinese palace theater at 6925 Hollywood Blvd. Partnered with stars Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, the result was the famous theater that has launched the premiers of such films as Cecil B. DeMille’s “King of Kings,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “Star Wars.” The signature of Grauman’s, however, wasn’t only the Chinese pagoda style, but also the nearly 200 stars of stage and screen who left their mark, quite literally, in the concrete outside the theater.

The first to leave their mark? Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, Grauman’s partners in the venture. Most recently the naming rights to the theater were sold to Chinese television maker TCL who re-named the theater the TCL Chinese Theater.

The publisher’s description on the back of the card states: “The Chinese theater has been the scene of many Hollywood gala premiers. In the forecourt of this famous theater may be seen the footprints in concrete of many of filmland’s celebrities both past and present.”



Comments are closed.

  • Day of thanks develops into national holiday over 240 years

    November 25th, 2015

    Northeast News What we celebrate as Thanksgiving is traditionally tied to a three-day feast involving the Pilgrims after their first harvest in 1621.

    Tunnel gave thrilling ride from downtown to West Bottoms

    November 18th, 2015

    Northeast News Standing in the glass foyer of the State Street Securities building at Eighth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and looking east along the Eighth Street corridor, it’s easy to

    Corner market did business on Ninth St.

    November 11th, 2015

    Northeast News Although there’s a vacant lot where Benedict L. Bredburg’s Metropolitan Grocery once stood, such “corner markets” were the rule rather than the exception in the fabric of communities

    Veterinary school thrives near turn of the century

    November 4th, 2015

    Northeast News What began in 1891 in two rented rooms in the Schutte Building near 11th

    Author Poe lives on through this postcard

    October 27th, 2015

    Northeast News This Halloween, we depart from our traditional Jack-O-Lantern or witching-style postcard and offer this literary postcard published by the Webb Freyschlag Company of Kansas City.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored in historic postcard

    October 20th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    Later that year, an engine company was formed (McGee Hook and

    Sugar Creek’s original amusement park

    October 13th, 2015

    Northeast News Fairmont Park was developed in 1897 by early Kansas City railroad developer Arthur E.

    Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Rep. John Rizzo to run for Missouri’s vacant 11th District Senate seat

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News Nov. 27, 2015 Kansas City, Missouri — Over the Thanksgiving holiday, John Rizzo, D-Kansas City, announced […]

    Urban Dirty rides in 2015

    Down and dirty along Cliff Drive. Last weekend, men, women and children of all ages took on a cycling course specifically designed to test their strength and stamina during the first

    Celebrate Whoville Holidays with the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who

    Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri — ‘Tis the season for holiday Who-spitality” at the City Market. Whos of all ages are invited to Whoville Holidays, an annual tradition at the City Market.