Bucolic Camp a haven for scouts

Postcard.12.19.2012.tif

By MICHAEL BUSHNELL
Northeast News
December 19, 2012 


The description on the back of this real photo postcard describes Camp Prairie Schooner Girl Scout Camp of the Pioneer Trail Council as: “A hideaway of woodlands, trails and virgin timber. The camp includes units for 125 campers and staff. A chapel, campfire areas, shelter houses, dining lodge, swimming pool, administration building and infirmary.” 

Camp Prairie Schooner is located on 176 acres between Lee’s Summit, Raytown and Independence, Mo. From its vantage point on the bluffs overlooking the Little Blue River Valley, the camp feels like wilderness in the heart of the Kansas City metropolitan area.

Land for the camp was acquired in 1946. Mrs. J. Rogers DeWitt, who was very active in local politics and civic causes, found the land and thought the area would be perfect for a camp for girls. One of the primary factors in her decision was the Union Pacific Railroad that had a line that ran through the Blue River Valley between Kansas City and Lee’s Summit and actually stopped at the base of the camp. With money still tight for many families, girls could easily take the train from the city to Camp Prairie Schooner.

DeWitt also petitioned an organization called the War Chest for assistance in funding the acquisition of the land. War Chest held the title for the land until 1961 when the initial 130-acre parcel was deeded to the Girl Scouts.

According to the Girl Scouts Conference of Northeast Kansas and Northwest Missouri, the camp features two new state of the art Trail Centers that allow girls to acclimate easier in to the wilderness camping experience. The new bunkhouses are completely climate controlled, are Wi-Fi equipped and can sleep almost 40 people each.

Mailed in 1962 to Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Wagner at 1155 Benton Place, Pittsburgh, Pa. The personal message reads: “Dear Dick and Fern, How are you? I am fine, Thank you so much for the cute card. I’m writing this from camp. Having a ball. Hoping to see you again sometime soon. Love Madeline.”

 

 

Comments are closed.

  • Ruskin Heights tornado still conjers horror for some

    May 19th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Fifty eight years ago today, a string of savage storms rose from the southern plains states and tore a devastating path across the Kansas City area that some


    Motel Capri – Northeast’s Gold Standard for Motor Inns

    May 12th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In the late 1950’s, an empty plat of ground just north of the old Boy’s Hotel at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue caught the eye of three local


    Cursed be the villain who molests these graves

    May 5th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In January of 1859, the town of Wyandot was incorporated and two streets were cut across what we now know as the Huron Indian Cemetery.


    Cliff Drive’s legacy endures time as a world-class park

    April 28th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News “Cliff Drive, Kansas City, Missouri.”
    So reads the description on the front of this postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company.


    As KC grew, so grew the City Market

    April 21st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News Building the imposing new City Hall at Fifth and Main Streets required the installation of roughly 60 circular caissons, five feet across, to support the massive structure.


  • Fairyland lives on in photo postcard

    April 14th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard shows the view of Fairyland Park from the top of the roller coaster in the 1930s.


    History remains bridge to the past

    April 7th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News In 1950, there were only two bridges that spanned the Missouri River to the north, offering access to downtown Kansas City.
    The old Hannibal Bridge, originally constructed in 1917,


    Main Street Theater history lives on

    March 31st, 2015
    by

    Northeast News The marquee on the Max Bernstein postcard of the Main Street Theater shows the vaudeville team of Williams and Wolfus playing, as well as Lydia Barry.
    “Williams and Wolfus”


    Fort Osage serves both past and present

    March 24th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News This week’s postcard is an early Chrome-type postcard published by James Tetrick of Kansas City showing historic Fort Osage near Sibley.


    The original Kansas City Hummer vehicle

    March 17th, 2015
    by

    Northeast News When you think of a Hummer these days, the first thing to probably come to mind is the monstrous SUV that began its life as a utility vehicle


  • Local Weather

  • What’s Happening

    Memorial Day weekend events in and around Kansas City

    Northeast News May 22, 2015 KANSAS CITY, Missouri — There are plenty of events taking place in and around the […]

    Woman charged with murder in child’s death

    Joe Jarosz Northeast News May 20, 2015               KANSAS CITY, Missouri — A Jackson […]

    KCDC students unveil plans for abandoned reservoir

    By Joe Jarosz Northeast News KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Like the one-time working water reservoir in the Northeast, the Kansas City Design Center students have been overflowing with ideas on how