Playgound image long gone from banks of the Blue River

posrtcard-blue river.TIF

Northeast News
September 26, 2012 

What is now nothing more than a re-routed, re-manufactured drainage ditch north of 63rd Street was once home to thousands of boat owners in the Kansas City and Independence area who made their summer home along the banks of the beautiful Blue River.

This historic postcard published by the Fred Harvey Company shows the Blue River looking North from 15th Street (Truman Road). Canoe and boat rental outfitters lined the banks of the Blue with names like the Star Boat Company and the Blue River Boat House, shown at left in the view on this postcard. Farther north, near where 12th Street crosses, was the Kansas City Yacht Club. In this view, the Blue River seems to be full, but other views of the same time period show the river as barely a trickle where one could wade across its breadth and not get completely wet in the process.

With the pending encroachment of industry along its banks, recreation-based businesses closed their doors one by one, and the river became a dumping ground for everything from industrial waste to rusting automobiles to household items. Today, the river, north of 12th Street to the northern border of the old Sheffield Steel Mill, flows in a narrow concrete channel largely for flood control purposes. Virtually no evidence exists of what was once known as Kansas City’s water playground.

Comments are closed.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    October 6th, 2015

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

  • Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

    Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

  • Local Weather