Scarritt Building’s opulence personified

PC-scarritt building.jpg

Built in 1907 by the Scarritt Estate Company (formed in 1903 by the children of the prominent early-day Kansas Citian, Nathan Scarritt, who migrated to Western Missouri in 1848 as teacher and preacher), the Scarritt Building cost $750,000 and was Kansas City’s second “skyscraper.”

The R.A. Long building was first, and the National Bank of Commerce, now Commerce Bank, was Kansas City’s third. For many years these buildings dominated the downtown skyline as Kansas City’s tallest structures. The three entrances to the Scarritt Building were on Grand Avenue, Ninth Street and on Walnut through a four-story arcade adjoining the building on the west. The building was designed by the Kansas City architectural firm of Root & Siemens, which also designed the George Peck Dry Goods Company building, the Westport M.E. Church and the Country Club Christian Church.

One notable residence designed by Root & Siemens is the stone mission home of J.P. Townley located at 3400 Gladstone Blvd.

For many years the Scarritt Building housed the offices of the Kansas City Gas Company. During the mid 1980s, the building underwent an extensive restoration project totaling more than $14 million. The building stands today as a testament to one of
Kansas City’s first families.

Comments are closed.

  • Kansas City’s first fire fighters honored

    13 hours ago

    Northeast News In March 1867, the Missouri Legislature granted permission to allow Kansas City to organize an official fire department.
    In August of that same year an engine company was formed

    Historic postcard offers glimpse of beautiful Penn Valley Park

    September 29th, 2015

    Northeast News The three-acre lake shown on the front of this black and white postcard was once part of an area of ramshackle shanties called Vinegar Hill and bordered OK

    School’s important part of Church’s history

    September 22nd, 2015

    Northeast News Established in 1890 as a school for girls, the Scarritt Bible and Training Institute was located at Harris (now Norledge) and Askew Avenues in Historic Northeast Kansas City.

    Even the postmark carries its own history

    September 15th, 2015

    Northeast News The Fred Harvey Company, around 1912, published this pastoral scene showing a roadway in Swope Park.

    Racing in Smithville

    September 9th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City-Smithville Race Track grandstands and the first turn are pictured on this postcard published by the Auburn Greeting Card Company in the 1920s.

  • Labor Day holiday weekend honors workers both past and present

    September 1st, 2015

    Northeast News With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, we pay homage to the greatest workforce on the face of the earth with this Real Photo Postcard published in 1910.

    Central served those seeking education

    August 25th, 2015

    Northeast News Published by the Elite Postcard Company, this color postcard shows Central High School that once stood at the corner of 11th and Locust Streets downtown.
    Originally opened in September

    The Chester steams through MO history

    August 18th, 2015

    Northeast News This Fred Harvey postcard shows a scene near the Municipal Wharf at First and Main Streets.

    Power and light building: An Art Deco icon

    August 11th, 2015

    Northeast News The Kansas City Power and Light building is arguably one of the finest examples of Art-Deco architecture in the country, rivaled only by the Chrysler Building in New

    Thacher Elementary now rubble & memories

    August 4th, 2015

    Northeast News Louin Kennedy Thacher was born in Hornellsville, New York, and immigrated to the Kansas City area in the mid 1850s to take advantage of the huge land boom.

  • Local Weather